iphone = ipod touch ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have currently an ipod touch and I am thinking about getting an iphone ..

What about applications etc., can they be transfered and is the software exactly the same apart from the additional application of being a phone too ?

Also does the iphone has still normal wireless capability ? Every reference I find on apple.com points to 3G when it comes to wireless ...

Edit: Oh wait
More wireless. Less space.
iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself. And intelligent iPhone power management technology gives you up to 5 hours of talk time over 3G networks.2 That’s some of the best in the business.
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I don't have an iphone so I don't know exactly how it works. I have the G1 for t-mobile. It does have the option to connect to my wireless router instead of 3G. I can also toggle between 3G and 2G. Since the iphone is supposedly the superior phone (sarcasm), I would assume it would have the same option.

Edit: I've been with t-mobile for almost 10 years. If I were with at&t, I'd probably have an iphone.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    The iphone has literally the same interface and os as the ipod touch. The iphone adds a phone and a 3G data plan. The iphone and ipod touch both use the same App Store and applications. It's just that more applications are usable with an iphone because of the iphone's constant 3g internet connectivity. I have an iphone - if you have any more questions, let me know.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stotic wrote: »
    The iphone has literally the same interface and os as the ipod touch. The iphone adds a phone and a 3G data plan. The iphone and ipod touch both use the same App Store and applications. It's just that more applications are usable with an iphone because of the iphone's constant 3g internet connectivity. I have an iphone - if you have any more questions, let me know.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

The most important question I have at the moment, which I cannot find an answer for, is in regards to the "official" unlocked iPhones.

I don't have a SIM of the official partner here in the UK (which is O2 and I have Orange). Now I can see that you can buy at Amazon, eBay and whatnot, "official" unlocked iPhones.

As far as I understand the iPhones locks the network as soon as you put in the sim the first time and sync it with iTunes. So far so good. Now assuming this is correct - which wouldn't be the problem as I won't change my plan any time soon - I will probably need the connection settings from somewhere. Although this is just a guess.

What really puzzles me is the fact that I can read everywhere that Apple released the unlocked version, shops like Amazon selling those unlocked versions, but I cannot find this unlocked one in a local shop or at the Apple shop directly. Now I am concerned that all that is bogus and I end up with an expensive paper weight.

Just to be clear - I do not want any unofficial ways of unlocking this device. This will be used mostly for business and must stay 100% legit - not to mention warranty etc.. I am aware of the high price - but that isn't an issue at the moment .. the issue is, where to get that thing from a decent source with full warranty .. Mind you - even Amazon offers are just third party dealer and not Amazon itself ..
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    As far as I understand the iPhones locks the network as soon as you put in the sim the first time and sync it with iTunes.
    They're already locked when they leave the factory. Buy a US iPhone and it'll be locked to AT&T. Buy a UK iPhone and it'll be locked to O2.

It isn't Amazon themselves selling the unlocked iPhones. They operate a third party seller marketplace as well.
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    What really puzzles me is the fact that I can read everywhere that Apple released the unlocked version, shops like Amazon selling those unlocked versions, but I cannot find this unlocked one in a local shop or at the Apple shop directly.
    The phones are usually locked but in some countries it is against the law to sell a locked phone so they get unlocked versions as well. You usually can get a cheaper locked version which is subsidised.

If you have paid enough into your contract then most providers will allow you to unlock a phone.

Some people also unlock them with various hacks. Most of them have restrictions on how you upgrade the firmware.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Yea, there is no such thing as an official apple unlocked iphone.
  • lex0429lex0429 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    btw iphone has a camera and the new one GPS where as the touch doesnt.
    Been an Iphone user since the beginning and i am in no way an apple fanboy, the exact opposite, but i couldnt live without my Iphone. its a terrific device
    Did some more research .. so there ARE some factory unlocked iPhones mainly sold in France and Italy. That is where some of the ebayer get those phones from. For this reason most shops apparently don't want / can / allowed to sell the iPhone to foreigners to avoid trouble with Apple.

Now some of the third party seller on amazon, as I had to find out, selling dodgy unlocked phones, or some of them anyway .. Some using software and some sim addons ..

Anyway, since I am German (just not living there) I asked some German mobile guys and they are also able to get me an EU unlocked iPhone with full upgrade rights via itunes and full factory warranty ... And the best thing, in the UK we would get 12 month, but that shop in Germany has to give 24 month ..

At the moment I am just tempted but not convinced ... yet :P
    lol - I must be on the right track there.
    Tried to order the 16GB iPhone in Germany - refused due to "laws" permitting them to send them outside of certain countries, such as France, Swizerland etc.

But he - what are parents in Germany for :p
    Stotic wrote: »
    Yea, there is no such thing as an official apple unlocked iphone.

Oh yes there is :)

Just got my imported iPhone from Germany. I was able to put in a normal SIM - which is a different provider as the official contraced one and I upgraded the firmeware and its all well (and 3Ged) :)

LIke I said before - some countries are not allowed to sell locked phones only so they HAVE TO provide unlocked phones as well :)