Passed Security+ SY0-201 with a score of 900!!!

TeeDarling77TeeDarling77 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed the Security+ SY0-201 with a score of 900 on last Saturday. As some of you may know, the Security+ Exam has a scale score between 100 and 900. I don't know if anyone has been able to pass this new CompTIA test with 900 yet. I may be wrong but I don't know yet. Well, I did it!

Well, I studied this test for 2 good months. I bought the CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201 by Emmet Dulaney and studied it inside out. I kind of googled all the practice tests from the companies selling these tests and downloaded the demo versions and studied them since I didn't have money to buy them. I really wanted to understand the 6 Domains for the test since I have a feeling that I may do the CISSP exams in the near future.

I think that if you really understand each of the 6 objectives for the exam, you can pass it easily. You just have to read to really know what the question is about. I had to read each question twice before I looked at the answers to see which ones I should take out first. I called it the process of elimination. I always ended up taking 2 answers out first and then I read the question for the last time before I picked up my answer. Once I picked up my answer, it's hard for me to change it unless I am not 100% sure about my understanding of the question.

I took the test be'cos of the DoD Directive 8570.1. I am sure you all know what it's about. If not google it and find out what it's about. :)

Comments

• genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Well done!! I'm going for my Sec+ as soon as I finish with the 70-291 so I'll have an MCSA: Security and an elective for MCSE.

Thanks for the info/tips!

Congrats again!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • ger the manger the man Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done! Im taking the same approach myself. Im taking the exam this Friday and I have read the sybex non-deluxe guide about 10 times at this stage. Didnt bother with any exam prep software.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Wow - perfect score! Very nice.

I'm taking that exam on Friday as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 900 like you, though.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Wow - perfect score! Very nice.

I'm taking that exam on Friday as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 900 like you, though.

Best of luck!
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Thats perfect man great score mate!!!!!!! am going for the '"The Beast"" then Sec+ ,
    one more question if you get Sec+ do you automatically became MCSE can someone
    make it clear for me there or you have to go thought a couple of MCSE exams.
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Y'all do realize that the military and civilian contractors on-base are given brain **** to help prepare for this test?

I'm not saying she used it but just throwing this out there.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Y'all do realize that the military and civilian contractors on-base are given brain **** to help prepare for this test?

I'm not saying she used it but just throwing this out there.

Not true. I work on an Army base as a contractor. Two of my coworkers and I passed this 2-3 years ago right when DoD Directive 8570 came out - without ****. None were "given" to us and we didn't seek them out either. This may be going on at some places, but be careful not to lump all Federal personnel (whether contractor, civilian or military) into this category.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Why cant people just study honestly? You get a much stronger feeling of reward when you put some genuine effort in......
    sprkymrk wrote: »
    Not true. I work on an Army base as a contractor. Two of my coworkers and I passed this 2-3 years ago right when DoD Directive 8570 came out - without ****. None were "given" to us and we didn't seek them out either. This may be going on at some places, but be careful not to lump all Federal personnel (whether contractor, civilian or military) into this category.

Let me be more specific, since it is TRUE. I know for a fact that certain comm squadron's in the Air Force and Navy are given this. Actually, I don't blame the military or civilian contractor's that attend the class. I blame certain training companies that pass it out. I said "military" because I didn't want someone to get offended about me being specific about a certain branch.
  • cbalkcomcbalkcom Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want to send me your email address, I'd be happy to verify your score and talk about a special Security+ acknowledgement of your accomplishment. A perfect score seldom happens.
    Congratulations!
    securityplus@comptia.org
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Let me be more specific, since it is TRUE. I know for a fact that certain comm squadron's in the Air Force and Navy are given this. Actually, I don't blame the military or civilian contractor's that attend the class. I blame certain training companies that pass it out. I said "military" because I didn't want someone to get offended about me being specific about a certain branch.

Let me be more specific too - since I quoted your original statement it was NOT true.

If you change the quote from "the military and civilian contractors on-base" to "certain comm squadron's in the Air Force and Navy" you have made an entirely different statement from what I quoted.

If you have proof of this drop an email to CompTIA and please don't lump the entire DoD into a negative light.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Bulletz wrote: »
    Thats perfect man great score mate!!!!!!! am going for the '"The Beast"" then Sec+ ,
    one more question if you get Sec+ do you automatically became MCSE can someone
    make it clear for me there or you have to go thought a couple of MCSE exams.
    The Security+ can act as your elective for MCSE, but you still have to take the required six Microsoft exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TeeDarling77TeeDarling77 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,
    I just checked this out about what EivisG said after seeing my 900 score. I am out here laughing and saying to myself this guy must be a dummy to even throw this statement out there like that. I am here to respond to you, ElvisG.

First of all, I am not a SHE as ElvisG put it. I am a HE. Secondly, I did not use any brain **** to pass this test. I studied very hard. I am a graduate with a computer science degree and I have been working in the networking field for over 20 yrs. I have certificates such as CNE, MCSE, MCSE Security 2003 , CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, etc. For your information, I did get 2 perfect scores for 2 of my CNE certificate exams and one for the MCSE. Three of my Cisco tests, I missed them by one each. I know networking. And any Systems Engineer who really knows networking can pass the Security+ easily after studying for a month or so. I can tell you that most of the questions in the Security+ exams relate to things any networking engineer had studied before. And if you're smart enough, you can answer them without even reading the Security+ book. I decided to read the Security+ book to get good basic understanding of the CISSP 10 Domains since I do have plans to take the CISSP exams in the near future. The Security+ exams book teaches six of the 10 Domains for the CISSP. And for anyone who wants to take the CISSP, the Security+ exams is the right exams to take first.

I did say in my first post that I took the exams be'cos of the DoD 8570.1 Directive and it was also actually be'cos a friend working for the gov't had said that he can get me a job in the Security field if I have my Security+ certification. My friend also stated that be'cos of the DoD Directive, all the guys in his Security team already passed the Security+ SY0-101. I decided to take the SY0-201 since that was the lastest version and I wanted to keep up with the latest technologies.

So to ElvisG, study hard and see if you too can get a perfect score instead of saying things about people you don't even know anything about.
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very nice score. Congrats man!
    Good for you and congrats!

Sorry about calling you a female, the name threw me off.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Thats nice.

I am wondering if you have any work experience?
    Was this your first certification Comptia test?
    Are you a student who just read the book/materials off the internet?
    Thanks
    I passed the Security+ SY0-201 with a score of 900 on last Saturday. As some of you may know, the Security+ Exam has a scale score between 100 and 900. I don't know if anyone has been able to pass this new CompTIA test with 900 yet. I may be wrong but I don't know yet. Well, I did it!

Well, I studied this test for 2 good months. I bought the CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201 by Emmet Dulaney and studied it inside out. I kind of googled all the practice tests from the companies selling these tests and downloaded the demo versions and studied them since I didn't have money to buy them. I really wanted to understand the 6 Domains for the test since I have a feeling that I may do the CISSP exams in the near future.

I think that if you really understand each of the 6 objectives for the exam, you can pass it easily. You just have to read to really know what the question is about. I had to read each question twice before I looked at the answers to see which ones I should take out first. I called it the process of elimination. I always ended up taking 2 answers out first and then I read the question for the last time before I picked up my answer. Once I picked up my answer, it's hard for me to change it unless I am not 100% sure about my understanding of the question.

I took the test be'cos of the DoD Directive 8570.1. I am sure you all know what it's about. If not google it and find out what it's about. :)
  • TeeDarling77TeeDarling77 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Laptop,
    Yes, I do have work experience. Check out what I said in my last post. I have been working in the networking field for over 20 yrs. I am a Sr. Systems Engineer. And yes, this was my first CompTIA test. I have always thought that the CompTIA tests (A+, Server+, Network+ etc) are below my standard until the Security+ became an issue for the Security field I am making plans to head to.

And again to Laptop, I am not a student now. I got my Computer Science degree more than 15 yrs ago. :)

I read the Sybex SY0-201 book inside out and also read the comments/advice from a whole lot of people from different forums. The different demo/sample tests also helped out a lot.
  • RasenganRasengan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm signed up for the SYO-201 this Friday...kinda nervous, a 794/900 to pass isn't much room for error. I have the same study guide as the OP + a Review guide that came with it.
  • RasenganRasengan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Changed up, took it this today. 830/900 **** YEAH
  • tnelson6429tnelson6429 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on a PERFECT score!!!!! MOST IMPRESSIVE

A+, Net+, Sec+ and no work experience YET icon_sad.gif

Now be honest, were there a few questions you had to geuss?
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Great job on the perfect score. It really means a lot to get one of those. All that studying really paid off!

It's probably a hell of a self esteem booster, isn't it? I know I'd be calling everyone I knew to brag. It's well deserved! Well done, man!

I plan on taking the Sec+ after the MCSA to earn the MCSA: Security as well. And as an elective on the MCSE. Seems like a good route to take!
  • cjt10cjt10 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I scored a 900 out of 900 too! The test was way easier than I expected. However I did study like a mad man.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The test was much easier than I imagined. 845 for me.