Options

Are you a 2 minute fixer?

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

It makes my blood boil when I go on to a PC to do something only for it to take soooo much longer due to some numpty not knowing how to setup a PC

example, user has 4 PST files all in different locations, I mean whats that all about

I prefer to spend as long as necessary when doing anything on a client for it to be setup the right way, but if you join an IT dept with 2000 clients, thats potentially 2000 stupid mistakes that you have to mop up

Whos brave enough to admit to being a 2 minute fixer

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I fix my problems the right way in 2 minutes. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lee H wrote: »

That's what my wife tells me, but I don't think it's complementary...
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    dynamik wrote: »

hahaha hilarious.. :D:D
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

icon_lol.gif too funny
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

LOL :) That long ?

I've come across large PC installations done by contractors where they would deliberately build each PC by hand - needless to say, each one was slightly different and caused lots of problems down the line.... However, it was obvious maximising their time on site and in the sweet money was their priority. Not the quality of the work.

All you can do is be the one that does the building so that everything gets built your way but you can guarentee your successor will find things you have not done/done wrong.

Set a benchmark image and then make sure any new/replacement PCs go out with that agreed image and eventually you will have everything built as you like it. This rolling fix is the only sensible way it can get sorted out. Any large user base IT dept should be doing this as a matter of course these days I would have thought.

Such is the way of these things.
    Kam.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    LOL :) That long ?

No, and that's his problem...

icon_cheers.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :D

I'm a 2 minute fixer since I generally document all the problems I come across each day. When I see something that I've fixed before, I just fix it right then and there or send the person the instructions to do it themselves.

Unfortunately what happens is that you go to assist someone and you already know how to correct the issue, but oftentimes they like to try and explain or show you the problem and talk for 10 minutes about what you already suspect. They think they are helping you. <_<
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□

Me...i have no shame, if its the big cheeses machine the last thing they want is a IT Bod knocking about their machine taking up their "expensive" time
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    :D

I'm a 2 minute fixer since I generally document all the problems I come across each day. When I see something that I've fixed before, I just fix it right then and there or send the person the instructions to do it themselves.

Unfortunately what happens is that you go to assist someone and you already know how to correct the issue, but oftentimes they like to try and explain or show you the problem and talk for 10 minutes about what you already suspect. They think they are helping you. <_<

+1

I have ran across this many many times.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm off the chart for 2 mins
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    Fix the problem in two minutes and bill for the minimum of four hours. What so wrong about that? icon_moneyeyes.gif
  • Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Fix the problem in two minutes and bill for the minimum of four hours. What so wrong about that? icon_moneyeyes.gif

I thought that was standard procedure?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

If IT would always bill the actual amount of time needed to fix / do something we won't be where we are at the moment lol ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Shame on you IT people

I prefer to see the big picture and have machines setup in such a way that they require little effort to support, if yours already are then hats off to ya

eg. I was on a machine other day that had 4 PST files all in different places, 1 on local machine in default location, 1 in C:\Email, another 2 on seperate servers

Lee H
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    eg. I was on a machine other day that had 4 PST files all in different places, 1 on local machine in default location, 1 in C:\Email, another 2 on seperate servers

Lee H

That's the norm where I work, where we have thousands of employees who create PST files whenever they please. Executives have over 100 PST files with 10+ years worth of emails.
    This one lady asked me why her outlook was so slow, and all her PST files were on mapped drives. :D

Spent an hour transferred it all to the local PC.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    A 2 minute fix becomes the "right" fix once you document it...
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    That's the norm where I work, where we have thousands of employees who create PST files whenever they please. Executives have over 100 PST files with 10+ years worth of emails.
    This one lady asked me why her outlook was so slow, and all her PST files were on mapped drives. :D

Spent an hour transferred it all to the local PC.

Big mistake, You will be spending another 5 hours copying them back and connecting CEO's secretary to it once that lady leaves for a vacation.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    You have to have some small problems in place, sometimes. Otherwise your manager will walk around and look for another "project" for you. It will take you anywhere from 2 days to 1 week to finish it, and then ... he does not really need it "you know, i just saw that you were bored" and ask you delete it.
    So if that is something small or insignificant problem then don't touch it, leave it as is.