Inexpensive online training

jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I haven't been around the forums in over 3 years when I was getting my MCSA, but recently my employer made it a requirement to get the Linux+ cert.

I'm relatively new to Linux, and I'm still stuck in the Windows state of mind, so I don't think books and practice tests are going to be enough for me this time. I have the Sybex Linux+ book already, but I was looking for something a little more interactive, like an elementK, or a TestOut subscription. With all the command line, I really think it would help me to be actively typing while I'm learning the material.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best course of this kind? Also, my employer is paying for the exam but I doubt they would spring for $400-500 for a training course. Are there any discounts/coupons available or is the price generally what you see on the website?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Amazon doesn't have this right now, but it is a great source for linux beginners:

LabSim for Linux+ TestOut Corporation

Don't be put off by the 3-star rating, it was really good. It had instructional videos followed by simple sims. You may be able to order it from here:

Cengage - Operating Systems Products List Page - LINUX

Make sure you get the CD that comes with the book. It was priced very reasonably if I remember, like under $100.

Also, there are several free linux demo CBT's here:
    http://www.linuxcbt.com/?gclid=CPrZ7JiXh5kCFQ4MDQoduws_mQ

And also a few free CBT's here:
    http://www.cbtnuggets.com/

Click the link for free videos, then linux. There are 5 there at the moment.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get this book: Amazon.com: A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming: Mark G. Sobell: Books

If you're looking for something on a budget, check out Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com

The most important thing you can do is just play around with it. I really don't think CBTs are going to help more than any other resource. A lot of it simply comes down to practice and memorization. There are important concepts to understand as well, but if you're an MCSA, I'm sure you can pick those up from a book.

You might also want to check this out as well: Amazon.com: Linux for Windows Administrators (Mark Minasi Windows Administrator Library): Mark Minasi, Dan York: Books
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about that Mark Minasi book. It's awesome, but quite dated at this point. I sure wish he would do another edition of it.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I was worried about that when I got it, but it was still surprising helpful. It helped get into the *nix frame of mind. While you do need to do a little extra legwork to get up to speed on everything, I didn't find that to be a problem once the foundation was in place. Honestly, my biggest complaint was that some parts had sort of a derisive tone (i.e. "I don't know why, but in Linux, they do it like this."). I know he's a Windows guy, but it was a bit of a turn off when reading a book about Linux.
  • jalu6jalu6 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Honestly, my biggest complaint was that some parts had sort of a derisive tone (i.e. "I don't know why, but in Linux, they do it like this."). I know he's a Windows guy, but it was a bit of a turn off when reading a book about Linux.

Thats funny, it sounds like every single person in my office :)

Thanks for the suggestions those all look like great resouces, I'll let you know what I end up with!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can't recommend vtc.com enough. You are gonna wana follow the videos along for lInux
    +

Start with the intro to linux, then intro do SUSE, follow it up with the Linux+ videos and videos on Apache and you'll do alright as long as you follow along in labs.
    -Daniel
  • userlinxuserlinx Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are free online training courses that can be used in order to practise the Linux certifications. One example is the Linux Server online training course at "Linux Services Organization"
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the Linux+ 2009 back in bets and I found the TestOut material from the older test to still be very helpful. I did not use their practice exams as there was very little time for me to study. I reviewed a ton of commands I was unsure about and learned a bunch of really basic stuff I actually did not know. But once I got the basics down I was able to pass - not with a high score though.

I agree with eMeS - what you really have to do is use it. If I had had more time for labbing and using Linux on a daily basis I would have passed with a better score. I think a casual Linux user could pass this easliy with about 3 months of study and prep. It was not nearly on the level of difficulty as the 70-270 Windows XP exam from MS.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took the Linux+ 2009 back in bets and I found the TestOut material from the older test to still be very helpful. I did not use their practice exams as there was very little time for me to study. I reviewed a ton of commands I was unsure about and learned a bunch of really basic stuff I actually did not know. But once I got the basics down I was able to pass - not with a high score though.

I agree with eMeS - what you really have to do is use it. If I had had more time for labbing and using Linux on a daily basis I would have passed with a better score. I think a casual Linux user could pass this easliy with about 3 months of study and prep. It was not nearly on the level of difficulty as the 70-270 Windows XP exam from MS.

It's Dynamik "Pimp Supreme"
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Linux Magazine offers online training for LPIC-1. At one point or another though, you WILL have to read man pages...