Options

70-647

Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im trying to figure out what the difference is between the individual test (active dir, Net app, and net infra) and this test. I have the MS Press book, which im about to start, and it states that alot of the material may just be a review for you if you have taken the other test. Has anyone found this to be the case, or is there a lot to be learned from this book? I will probably read it cover to cover as i do in all my test, but im just trying to get a grasp of what im in for on this exam.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    I'm currently working through the same MS book. With regards to the recap what it actually says is that if you've studied for 70-646 (MCITP:SA) then certain information will just be a recap as there is some overlap between the content domains.

What makes this exam different from what I've seen is that it is more like the design exams from the MCSE track, you are given situations and asked to evaluate solutions for them. As opposed to preceeding exams where you are given statements and asked to confirm them, or problems where you're asked to solve them. The MCITP is supposedly role based, so 647 should be all about planning and designing systems for the enterprise.
  • Options
    bliznakobliznako Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going through the same material just now... Although it revises a lot of the stuff you learned in 640/642/643, it mostly focuses on designing environments, inter-operability, migrations and upgrading, things you will most certainly come across once you attain the cert. EA...
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    647 is the halo exam for the EA track so it pulls in information from all the prior exams. If you have taken the other MCTS core exams then 647 shouldn't be a problem - if you review with the MSTK. 647 is more of a 'big picture' test than one about the little details.

See my review here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/38945-passed-70-647-now-mcitp-ea.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the insite! Are you guys enjoying this book? All i have done so far is set up my VMs and trying to get into the study mode once again. I hope this book is a bit more exciting and challenging then the something dry like the vista test was.
    -aaron
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Yeah it seems quite good. A lot of the enterprise design stuff is quite dry by nature but they manage to give you some good use cases for it. Besides which some of the new features of W2K8 are just funky enough to keep you interested, things like RODCs and Fine Grain Password Policies have been a long time coming.
  • Options
    bliznakobliznako Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, it depends on point of view... If you're new to the system engineer track, besides the learning part, it offers an overview of what will be your professional life once you get the certificate and start working.

If you're coming from MCSE 2003, I guess it will be a bit less exciting... although I have yet to come across an "exciting" MS Press book, if you know what I mean. :D
  • Options
    Well the book was not very exciting. It was more of a review of the prerequisite test. I read it and highlighted what I might want to review. Today I took a trancender practice test and got a 58% on the first attempt. Not so great, but I have done much worse in my previous first attempts on the prerequisite test. I will be taking the exam late week. I'm not to worried because I have the second shot on my voucher :)
    I am really looking forward to being done with my MCITP:EA :)
  • Options
    Happy to say I passed this morning. Only got a 788, but that is better then my 50-60% results from my transcender test. WOOT WOOT, onto some cisco certs now i guess....
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Good luck with the Cisco studies icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It feels good to finished with it. I never had any MS certs before I decided to go for EA. 5 in a row and Im ready for a new challenge. I would like to be able to add CCNA to my resume next.