Options

Tried to wing it...

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
...and didnt make it. 660. 64 questions, counted 17 simulations. Well, the sims were so easy that a complete Vista n00b like me whizzed through them. To be frank, I was expecting a score around 800. Dont know where I went wrong. Many straightforward questions, really should have passed.

Dont have anyone but myself to blame for this debacle. I actually started clocking my hours when I began my 284 preparation, and I racked up 360 hours in about a month and 10 days for that exam. In stark contrast, I only put in 7 hours for the 620. My bad, I know. I thought this would be a walk in the park, especially after getting 800+ scores on Transcender last night.

Back to the drawing board it is folks. This is what happens when complacency sets in and not enough effort is put in. The bar graph was pretty hilly, with I think only 25% in Installing Vista, the strongest being Configuring Vista at 80%.

I'll admit I didnt even crack open the book, just watched the Nuggets, mirrored James in my lab. Did 2 Transcender tests. Only used Vista like 10 times.

Want this stupid exam out of the way, want to start on the 294. Any suggestions please folks. Really should have been an MCSA: M today icon_sad.gif
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like it's frustrating you, and that can be as bad as any other deterrent to studying. Why don't you go tackle the 70-294, then hit this up once you're finished? It might feel a little better to take a break, then come back and blow through the book before putting this one down. You were very close, so an immediate re-take after a week or two of reading might also put you over the top.

Good luck, whichever you choose to do. Hit Vista hard right now, or take a break and come back to it when it feels less frustrating, (just don't put it off for too long). That's my advice. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    That's good advice, Slowhand. I just wanted to be an MCSA before starting on the 294 and 293, considering it as a confidence booster. Actually this test was an anti-climax after the 284 and 291. There was so much to learn in those tests. Really, who wants to know about parental controls and xBox extenders in a domain environment?? Same goes for that thing called Aero. Whatever.

Well for once, Microsoft didnt have essay type questions. This exam has straightforward questions. No stories, just to the point, more like a Cisco exam. Kind of bummed atm, having a few beers (more than a few) to drown the sorrows (not that there are any icon_wink.gif ).

There was this one confusing thing on the test. When they put a person's name in the simulations, it should really be gender-specific. For instance, Shirley for a girl and John for a boy. Questions on my test had Kim (names changed to avoid infringing NDA) as a guy in some questions and as a girl in some others. Terry as a girl in some and as a guy in others. Had to re-read the questions to ensure I was getting it right. More of a rant this, I know.

Will try my best to get a 850+ score next week.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    DanielHughesDanielHughes Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bad luck Essendon, you'll be right.
    I was thinking the same thing as you. Done 270, 290 and 291. Want to get 620 out of the way quick so have it booked for a fortnight. Putting in more than 7 hours, but no where near what I spent on the others.
    You'll be MCSA in no time. Did you Second Shot it?
  • Options
    Yeah, I did Second-Shot it. Was trying to book another appointment, but the result hasnt been updated yet at Prometric. How do you intend getting your MCSA?

Back to drinking Foster's Pure Blonde.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Well at least it doesnt cost another $180!
    270, 290, 291 and 620 for MCSA. I think after that I will move onto 648.
    Lots on at work and a 22 month old son, plus a second son due in a month so wont be getting too much more study in for the foreseeable future, that's why I am getting 620 out of the way quickly. After that, could be anything.

Enjoy the Blonde's, save some for Fri night when the Bombers take on the Pies!
    Go Dons
  • Options
    Enjoy the Blonde's, save some for Fri night when the Bombers take on the Pies!
    Go Dons
    O yeah, going to watch the game. Die-hard supporter of the Bombers. It's going to be at the Etihad Stadium (formerly Telstra Dome). No offence to anyone, I liked the 'Telstra Dome' name. See the Bombers fly up, up!

Good luck for your 620. Hope the second child comes along hale and hearty. Better have this test out of the way before then.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    haha, I'm the same. Big fan here.
    Telstra Dome much better, Docklands also sneaks out sometimes. All to do with the dollar but.

Cheers, good luck to you too
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same thing happened to me when I tried to quickly take the test. I thought I did pretty good but failed.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about the failing score, but I'm sure you will pass it next go around with no problems! icon_thumright.gif
    Seems like a lot of people on the forums want to underestimate this exam because they dub it as "easy." I personally don't feel that it's so easy that you shouldn't prepare for it though like any other exam.
    Good luck on your next attempt!
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Only 7 hours of studying? Man, your braver than I am. I'm sure you will get it next time another 7 hours of studying icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the same thing on the XP exam a few years back. I thought "whatever, I use XP everyday" and that exam kicked my ass (well not really, I got a 670, but it isn't a pass), I actually found it way harder than the 70-290 exam.
  • Options
    f3z81f3z81 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the same thing on the XP exam a few years back. I thought "whatever, I use XP everyday" and that exam kicked my ass (well not really, I got a 670, but it isn't a pass), I actually found it way harder than the 70-290 exam.

I found that too, it sounds strange, but out of the three 270,290&291, I found the 291 the simplest; perhaps I was just better prepared for it.

The bity-ness of the 270 is what I think makes it hard, just so many questions on little things, it really test your memory.

And well if they could word the question better in the 290, perhaps it would be a bit simpler. (I found the wording of the questions awful, when I sat it in January).
    2011:

CCNA April / May (Hopefully)

ITIL v3
    Prince2
    MCTS Windows 7

Then Rest! :thumbup:
  • Options
    PrempmtPrempmt Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aww you will get it the next round mate.Don't ya worry too much on the result.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If youre only using Vista @ home, and work hasn't upgraded to it ..... yet, is a month of studying enough for this exam?
  • Options
    Bokeh wrote: »
    If youre only using Vista @ home, and work hasn't upgraded to it ..... yet, is a month of studying enough for this exam?

Ditto here too. I only installed Vista Ultimate for the test, seem to like it (for now) and intend keeping it. A month should be enough really, but it depends on your study habits. I for example, studied my head off after I failed my first shot at this exam. Put in 8 hours each work day and over 15 hours on the only weekend after my failed attempt. Took me a week to pass this.

This being said, do not underestimate the opposition, so to say. I thought I had passed at my first shot but I failed with a 660. It's an easy test for sure, far easier than the 291/293 but still you need to study up for it. There's no way you would know anything about Meeting Space or People Near Me if you never read about it.

Make sure you read the MS Press book and doubly sure you do all the questions on the CD that comes with the book.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I passed this exam on Wednesday the 18th and passed pretty handily.

I didnt even study for 7 hours (more like 4ish)

But, I had already passed 622 which i put about 12 hours into, and Ive deployed well over 500 Vista machines at work so that factors a lot into it.

I had a pile of sims on my exam, too.

You'll get it next time, especially if you are passing the server tests icon_thumright.gif