2007 vs. 2009 Version

dsjellesmadsjellesma Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Most people are aware that CompTIA released a new version of the exam on January 9, 2009. However, as there were a lot more study materials out for the 2007 version of the exam, that is the one that I have been studying for, and was planning on taking in 2 days. Now I'm faced with the choice of getting the 2007 now, or waiting/studying more for the 2009 version.

My goal is to get my certification get a helpdesk job or something ASAP. After that, I can easily study for the new material and take the bridge exam (which updates the 2007 vert to the 2009 cert.)

Would it be smarter for me to just learn the new material and scrap the bridge idea? Is the 2007 cert really that usless?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    that is the one that I have been studying for, and was planning on taking in 2 days.

If you are that confident and plan on taking the exam in 2 days, no reason not too. CompTIA certs are forever.

You should hit up the A+ as well. If you can pass the N+ that is already half the battle.

Good Luck!
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    jryantech wrote: »
    If you are that confident and plan on taking the exam in 2 days, no reason not too. CompTIA certs are forever.
    agreed - if your employer requires that you have the most up to date cert, then go ahead & take the bridge exam...otherwise, I say go for the 2007 exam & be done with it. A Network+ cert is a Network+ cert, regardless of the year/version, so unless your employer needs otherwise, then it's up to you as to which one to take.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    I have a similar question, on the CompTIA website I see that there is a 2005 version and the 2009 version....when studying and taking the test how can I specify between the two? When scheduling the exam there is no difference on Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment site. Simply says Network+ N10, N11.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I have a similar question, on the CompTIA website I see that there is a 2005 version and the 2009 version....when studying and taking the test how can I specify between the two? When scheduling the exam there is no difference on Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment site. Simply says Network+ N10, N11.

I guess you didn't keep going and stopped when you got to that part. It asks you if you want to take the 2007 or 2009 exam right before you fill out your information. BTW, N10 = 2007 and N11 = 2009, just so you know.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Didnt know that! I think I'll go in that case for the 2009 version. I have have about 3 yrs working exp. and MCSA so that should be good enough to go for it. It'd hurt my pride if I failed a "starters" exam!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • rcooprcoop Member Posts: 183
    This is a note sent out from CertMag's email blasts on the Network+ 2009 exam:
    ---
    Passing N10-004 earns a candidate one of the certifications required by the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 8570.1. This directive mandates that both DOD employees and contractors who work with the DOD on any security-related initiative receive proper training and earn one or more network-related and security-related certifications.
    You may also use these questions to prepare for CompTIA's Network+ Bridge Exam, BR0-002. If you passed the 2005 or 2007 version of Network+, you can take the shorter Bridge exam that focuses only on the new topics to update your certification.
    ---

Which I think would encourage those who haven't taken the test yet, to wait and take just the N10-004 (2009) exam instead, so you will have the benefit of having the DOD approved certification. I guess it really matters whether you have plenty of money to take both the 2007 and the Bridge exam, and if you ever see yourself working on a U.S. DOD project where the certification may be valuable for meeting the requirement.

Since I work a lot with the government and military, I am definitely considering updating my old Network+ with the new one.

Take Care,
    --RCoop
    Working on MCTS:SQL Server 2005 (70-431) & Server+
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is Comptia offering other bridge exams, or just Net+?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    there's a bridge exam for Security+ too.

And as far as the DOD Directive 8570.1, Network+ 2009 is just ONE of the certifications that is listed as acceptable...I haven't found anything that states that Network+ 2005/2007 is NOT acceptable, although I haven't done too much research into it.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion