Options

Exchange 2003 OR 2007????

Once I finish my MCSE: security which will be @ the end of the month (fingers crossed). I'll be moving onto the messaging protion. I have no experince whatsoever with exchange. I am a complete newb. I am wondering which would be a better fit for not only now but also in future jobs, Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2007??

I know this question is pretty general. Feel free to add any input all is welcome
Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did a search on career builder for
    'Exchange 2003'
    'Exchange 2007'

I got

434 job hits for 2003
    240 for 2007
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    I did a search on career builder for
    'Exchange 2003'
    'Exchange 2007'

I got

434 job hits for 2003
    240 for 2007

I wouldn't use that as a basis for a decision. Yes, there may be more 2003 jobs listed on there now but how much longer will that be the case? Exchange 2003 is on its way out. If it were me, I'd be all over Exchange 2007.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RTmarc wrote: »
    I wouldn't use that as a basis for a decision. Yes, there may be more 2003 jobs listed on there now but how much longer will that be the case? Exchange 2003 is on its way out. If it were me, I'd be all over Exchange 2007.

It is really a form your own opinion post...

I do disagree with your statement but that doesn't really mean anything. This is a question that produces those wide variety answers.

IMO there are still going to be a strong need for Exchange 2003 admins, and Exchange 2003 to 2007 migration admins. Both require knowledge of 2003 to be hired thus learning 2003 is a pretty safe starting point. Afterwards you can move to 2007, which while 2003 is fresh in your mind, shouldn't be a real big deal.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing that's been hurting me is that I need to work with 2003 servers in order to transition them to 2007. I wish I had a better understanding of 2003. The majority of our clients are still on it, and I'm thinking about going back and adding that messaging specialization on to my MCSE.