Options

Failed BCMSN

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well im not ashamed to say this first outting did not go too well. Man, after installing a pair of 6500's at the weekend i felt on such a high...and now i have been knocked off my perch :)

Finished with 788. So only one or two questions away but i still would not have been saitisfied if i just scrapped by. My switching was solid - it was my weak area's i knew about in advance which caught me. Wireless & Voip.

As i knew in advance about this i made sure i knew the topics in the book well and then backed them up with cisco docs & nuggets. i mainly studied the exam cert guide by hucaby however i borrowed the self study guide from a friend too. But most of the questions on both of these sections werent covered in any of the bcmsn material i have seen. many seemed you to know facts and figures too. So some of the questions seemed like i was defeated before i even looked at the answers! i cant go into detail obviously but its so frustrating looking back. All i can say is hands on with wireless felt a must for this exam from my taking.

Few things on the exam - i really felt cisco struggled to explain the questions and the way they were put across were quite poor. Time management should be considered as always.

Im not sure what to do now. i scheduled this out of the blue the other day (possibly the wrong decision looking back :)) but the next 4-6 weeks are pretty important in my uni timetable. So i dont know if taking this again soon would be the best option.

What do you guys think? should i wait until after my uni coursework/exams. Any suggestions on material used?

More importantly how have people who struggled with wireless etc filled the gaps for this exam? From the questions i had i can only see buying some kit to fill the void but i would prefer not to at the minute for cash flow reasons.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nel wrote: »
    the next 4-6 weeks are pretty important in my uni timetable.
    I'd say give school priority.... but make sure you schedule in some study and review so that you keep up your BCMSN knowledge. Give the COMEBACK2009 code a shot and see if you get a SecondChance -- someone just reported back that it worked for them .

The Wireless has been mentioned by others -- so a search of the forum for BCMSN & Wireless may hopefully turn up some hints and suggestions. I think someone may have mentioned the Chris Bryant Advantage stuff.... As always, the Cisco Docs are good to fill in any book study gaps.

Did you use the Quick Reference Sheets? I always think of those as a good possible source for hints about topics that could be on the exam (besides the exam blueprint).

Good Luck! icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A buddy of mine just failed BCMSN with around the same score

He scored in the high 900's with the BSCI, so he probably went in overconfident

Good luck with your retake Nel - and definitely try using the coupon

Cisco Come Back 2009 Promotion
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear about the fail. I agree with Mike, concentrate on school but do not let your knowledge fade on the BCMSN so your revision for a retake won't be like learning all over again.

As far as wireless on this exam the docs are what helped me out a lot. There are quite a few good ones that I doubt I would have passed without. I don't have them bookmarked anymore, but a search for past BCMSN threads will probably net you some good links.

Good luck on the retake!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I'd say give school priority.... but make sure you schedule in some study and review so that you keep up your BCMSN knowledge. Give the COMEBACK2009 code a shot and see if you get a SecondChance -- someone just reported back that it worked for them .

The Wireless has been mentioned by others -- so a search of the forum for BCMSN & Wireless may hopefully turn up some hints and suggestions. I think someone may have mentioned the Chris Bryant Advantage stuff.... As always, the Cisco Docs are good to fill in any book study gaps.

Did you use the Quick Reference Sheets? I always think of those as a good possible source for hints about topics that could be on the exam (besides the exam blueprint).

Good Luck! icon_study.gif

No, i didnt use the reference sheets. But i think i will give them a shot now. Theyve got some reviews from what ive searched.

Thanks for the tips, im determined not to let this sidetrack me. I want to learn from my mistakes and make sure i use it to my advantage in the future.

I agree with mike, for now i will concentrate on my uni work but i will also keep the rest of the info fresh by reading a chapter a day.

Looking back im certain ive got to nail wireless & voip concepts. Has anyone found the NA:voice to be a help in this areafor the bcmsn?

Dont worry lads - i will be definately giving the comeback voucher a shot ;) thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    HOLY COW....well i though i'd login to vue and see if the comeback offer worked....AND IT DID work for my retake!!! it clearly stated the deducted amount etc and give me it at £0!!!

I havent scheduled my retake yet but does anyone know how long this runs for? ive looked on the vue site and cant find a date?

Thanks

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nel wrote: »
    well i though i'd login to vue and see if the comeback offer worked....AND IT DID work for my retake!!! it clearly stated the deducted amount etc and give me it at £0!!!

25th April 2009

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/39540-retake-option-back.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/39639-come-back-2009-promotion.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/39950-cisco-comeback-program-take-2nd-test-free.html

I think this makes 2 successful uses reported this week.....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!