Updates to server+ planned??

maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
Is there any update planned for this exam??

Im about to do (maybe next week) the security+ exam, and I've been asking myself whether or not to do this cert, im leaning towards to do it...

so also been thinking on getting server+ exam cram for sko-002 and not sure about server+ bible? any other more updated book??

I have no experience with servers...

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not that I've heard of. The Server+ bible is excellent, and you can get it for $5 used on Amazon.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    thanks for the quick reply!!

Exam Cram 2 server+ and server+ bible would cover all, right?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't taken it myself or used the EC book, but two solid resources will typically put you in pretty good shape. Personally, I'd go with the Server+ Bible and Transcender for a practice exam, but those are a bit pricey. You can certainly get by with make your own flashcards, etc. I'm just lazy :D
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I just passed Security+, and getting ready for A+ and this exam. I'm going to do them both. I have the EC book, and the Server+ bible. They are both great. Make sure to print out the exam objectives and use a lot of google to fill in the holes since there isn't a lot of material available.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
    Thanks guys, I got my hands on the server+ cert bible, and exam prep 2, I think ill be buying transcender server+ sim exam..

I bought the server+ cert bible from a friend... but the cd is so old and scratched that it does not work... is it worth to get the cd??

Is A+ a prerequisite? or some A+ basic knowledge needed?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    maumercado wrote: »
    Is there any update planned for this exam??

Im about to do (maybe next week) the security+ exam, and I've been asking myself whether or not to do this cert, im leaning towards to do it...

so also been thinking on getting server+ exam cram for sko-002 and not sure about server+ bible? any other more updated book??

I have no experience with servers...

I heard that CompTIA was going to update the Server+ in 2009 but there is not that much information about it yet.

Server+ Update Planned for 2009 - Server+ 2009 - CertificationWatch.com: Learn about certifications and how to get certified.

My guess is that there will be an update this year though.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    I wrote to comptia to confirm this, and its true, the SMEs are gathering to study the current state of server+, and no date of release has been announced for the new server+.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the server+ exam even worth it these days? I have been in IT for about 2 years and currently work as a Network Admin but I have to say that I have never seen this certification on any job ad.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Server+ can be interesting. I've never seen it on any job ad either. But that doesn't mean someone interviewing you wont like the fact that you have it. You learn the different Tiers in server environments and rack/blade servers. Stuff like that, it's pretty neat.

It's different from A+ and you learn some cool things about servers.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey! Congrats on the pass! Well done. A+ ,just be prepared for anything, such as networking, slots/sockets, RAM, IRQs, etc. You know the drill by now.