Options

How do i install RIS on a server 2003 with SP2?

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi All,

I am having a little trouble trying to set-up RIS for the first time. I have read all the documentation and it appears you need to have RIS installed on your server before you can attempt to set-up WDS.

The catch is this is a fresh install of Windows 2003 and SP2 was immediately applied. The question is how do i install RIS before being able to update to WDS?

The following Microsoft document (Step-by-Step Guide for Windows Deployment Services in Windows Server 2003) mentions you can install WDS in 3 seperate modes but all of them seem to require RIS beforehand. It says;

Legacy - To run in this mode, install and configure RIS and then install (but do not configure) Windows Deployment Services.

Mixed - To run in Mixed mode, configure Windows Deployment Services on a RIS server that has existing RIS images.

Native - To configure your server in Native mode, install and configure Windows Deployment Services on a server that has RIS installed but not configured

So as you can see they all require RIS but i have no idea how to install RIS? I cannot find a download for it on the Microsoft website and i cannot find it anywhere on the server 2003 CD or file system?

I understand this may seem a noob question but i am just a little lost.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't remember having to install ris to get wds to work, but it has been a while since I set one up.

Anyway, you can install RIS from add/remove programs -> add/remove windows components. It should be listed there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Hey Blargoe,

Thanks for your reply

If you click on the link i provided they seem almost adamant you need to have it installed, so do quite a few other articles i have read. This is my first time setting it up so just trying to follow it correctly

I have already looked under add/remove programs but RIS does not appear for some reason? I thought it should have been there too but it definitely is nowehere in that menu. Any ideas?

Also i know i mentioned WDS but i do not really have a need for it and would much prefer to simply run RIS. Can it be downloaded as a package from somewhere? I could not find it on the microsoft site?

Thanks
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That article says you need to install RIS prior to installing WDS only if you're on SP1. SP2 already has WDS. Just run it in legacy mode if you want RIS-like functionality.