Options

Internships??

MattGibsonMattGibson Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I'm really new to the IT field, and I am looking to obtain some internships to get some experience.

Do any of you have any suggestions of the best way to go about this? What skills should I portray? How much follow up is required? If you've done an internship before, what did you do to obtain it?

So far I have just been e-mailing my resume out like crazy between dice.com/monster.com/craigslist/local paper/etc.

Thanks!
Currently focusing on my 70-291
Just getting started!

Comments

• Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Are you going to college? Because thats what internships are for, college students :)

You need to ask your college professors how you can get a internship and what the requirements are for them. Make sure you ask your elective professors, if they don't know then talk with your councilor.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    A state or federal agency is a great place to get an internship, so if you live in an area with government employment opportunities, go to the applicable website and look around. My wife parlayed an internship into a Top Secret clearance and a nice permanent fed job. For smaller companies, just make a visit and talk to someone. Explain your situation and that you want to earn some experience. Internships are win-win because they get cheap/free labor and you get experience and you are able to make good networking contacts to help with future employment prospects.

Spend some quality time with Google and I am sure you will find something. I have even seen internships on the popular job boards (Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice...etc.) With budgets being slashed everywhere, finding a good internship might be a little easier these days. Go for it!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could always volunteer or substitute at a local school district, if your looking for experience to put on a resume.
  • Options
    ITguy83ITguy83 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started a internship with the YMCA. Although it is not a paid internship I find it very rewarding. I emailed the HR Department at my local YMCA and offered my services, they replied back the next day and we set up a meeting with the Head of IT dept. I found it is hard at this point of time at least where I live to get a paid internship. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You might not get pay right now, but as the market pick up little more. You hard work will pay off.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn