Options

Trying Again

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all I'm taking this exam again Friday for the second time. Went in really unprepared the first time and got creamed....

Does anyone use the RRAS and routing features in Win2k3?? I feel like Cisco and other products are more used in the real world (correct me if I'm wrong). DNS and subnetting obviously are heavily used everywhere.

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Well, it's not called the beast for nothing. What areas were you weak in? DNS and DHCP are definitely heavy on this test. Study them and then study them some more.
    Does anyone use the RRAS and routing features in Win2k3?? I feel like Cisco and other products are more used in the real world (correct me if I'm wrong). DNS and subnetting obviously are heavily used everywhere.

If anything, RRAS is used for the VPN feature in real life.....and that's about it. But unfortunately RRAS is still a big chunk of this test. So I'd advise to just pop a few pain pills and read through the RRAS chapter and go through the exercises on your home lab.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Def not DHCP or subnetting I deal with those everyday so those are down pat. I know DNS for the most part however there are some questions I still get thrown on a little (reviewing the chapter every hour). RRAS is whats killing me. Everytime I take the practice exams that seems to be the weak spot. I've been through the MS Press book 2 -3 time,trying to watch the CBT videos today to re-enforce my understanding. I still its stupid that they test you so hard on technology that anyone barely uses....
  • Options
    Do you have a home lab? Get some older computers or run VMWare/Virtual PC on pretty fast computer. Set up a few RRAS servers and have them authenticate to an IAS server. Create some policy's on the IAS server and test with a client.

Unfortunately RRAS is also on the 70-293 test, so if your thinking of going for MCSE you will need to put some time into RRAS.
  • Options
    Yeah I kinda had that was case....

I have a lab like 15 computers (virtual and physical mix). Big network security nut so I work in it alot. Trying to go for my MCSE because I've put it off for a while, unfortunately I just don't have much real world experience with RRAS so it obv makes this topic harder. I will take your recommendation and try it out tonight before the exam tomorrow thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Good luck tomorrow! I was going to schedule it for tomorrow, but changed it to Monday so I can have the whole weekend to brush up. Let us know things go.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    NightShade, good luck on the exam! icon_thumright.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    Thanks guys (and gals icon_wink.gif ). Just got home from work....going over the labs right now...17 hours and counting....
  • Options
    rflynnrflynn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck!

You'll do well this time!
    DNS, DNS, DNS!!!
  • Options
    Ok here goes nothing....post back later with results (hopefully good ones icon_wink.gif )
  • Options
    icon_cheers.gif Victory!!!!!!!!!

Got a 763 and at this point I'm fine with that (stupid exam icon_rolleyes.gif ).

[Edited]

Thanks to all those who helped and for the resources on this website they are great!! Next up....293
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!

Hey, you should edit your post so as to not violate the NDA you signed before the test. ie, don't talk about what's on the test.
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The NDA part needs editing. ill pm a mod. well done also btw! mines on the 25th gulp! lol.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Congrats NightShade!! :D
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Congrats!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Congrats Mr MCSA :D
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    Edited the other post (sry guys was very excited to pass wasn't thinking clearly lol) Thank you all! Be more then happy to help if anyone is still waiting to take this test icon_smile.gif It is def a killer...
  • Options
    suren327suren327 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey congrats! what study material did u use and which one did u focus on the most..i'm retaking this one on the 24th
  • Options
    I read the through the MS Press book, however I was selective about which chapters. Chapters 2,3 are on subnetting and if you can comprehend how microsoft explains it (i couldn't) then more power to you...naturally I skipped these chapters. chapters 4-6 are DNS (memorize everything in them), chapters 7 & 8 were dhcp and chapters 9 & some of 10 were helpful. I ignored chapters 11 & 12 they went off on some tangent about something...

Also watched the CBT Nuggets for this exam....they were ok for small pointers here and there but don't rely on them as a sole reference. I think that the best learning tool for this exam is doing the labs. Seriously practicing with DNS and stuff through the MS book labs and you will really come to understand it.

Let me know if I can be of any other help to you icon_wink.gif