IT Hell...

amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
Found this on Digg recently:

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1445713,00.jpg

Anyone here experience something similar? :D

Comments

• draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Not on that scale but I've had the "pleasure" of rewiring two wiring closet at SMBs that had switch racks that looked like that. Have some people never heard of cable mgmt.?
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    haaaaa!!!!!!!! that was horrible can i go a rewire his closet, come one thats really ugly

here is heave

Google Image Result for http://precisionfiberoptics.com/photos/06-P9253789-pfo.jpg

neat end clean thats how it should be
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is caused by bad execs and CTOs that want things done "now" instead of done right. Of course the techies have their own hand in this, but I always blame management.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    This is caused by bad execs and CTOs that want things done "now" instead of done right. Of course the techies have their own hand in this, but I always blame management.
    This follows on from that 2 minute fixer thread really. You have to get it right the minute something enters the rack. Once equipment gets plugged in and turned on then its too late to fix it. Do you want to be the person that tells management that you're going to have a couple of hours downtime whilst you recable and move things around...
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    icon_eek.gif

I've been in a lot of different server rooms before but have NEVER seen anything like this before!! Whoever is responsible for this should be tried and convicted and given 25 to life in prison for this!! icon_lol.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
    dude but i think it is a sense of pride having everything neat and clean and organize you cant really blame management if you are the one doing the job
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    haaaaa!!!!!!!! that was horrible can i go a rewire his closet, come one thats really ugly

here is heave

Google Image Result for http://precisionfiberoptics.com/photos/06-P9253789-pfo.jpg

Thanks ilcram19-2! I needed to see this after looking at amp's picture. I feel better now icon_smile.gif

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    Thanks ilcram19-2! I needed to see this after looking at amp's picture. I feel better now icon_smile.gif

The shakes subsided after viewing the other pictures. icon_lol.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    amp2030 wrote: »
    Found this on Digg recently:

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1445713,00.jpg

Anyone here experience something similar? :D

haha, thats what our comms room looks like except its along a single wall and not running in tandem with other cabs. Seriously, if someone has to repatch something down there - its that bad that most ppl just leave the previous cable and add a new one into the current mesh of cables haha.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LOL that first one just became my new background at work!
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□

:shockicon_sad.gifat a lost for words)icon_eek.gif

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm suddenly hungry for spaghetti. . .

And you've got to love that 7th comment. Mildly offensive, but still pretty funny.
    MadDog wrote:
    Obviously the yellow cables are inbound links, the lemon cables are DMZ and the gold cables are from the serial annex. Sheesh, its as if you guys have never had a **** network administrator before!
    As for the people that let things get this bad:
    thestupiditburns.jpg

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076

Your absolutely right, that spool of red wire sitting on the floor is just unacceptable. icon_lol.gif

Funny, I actually saw that pic on EE a few years ago and when i saw this thread thought immediately of that pic.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    Your absolutely right, that spool of red wire sitting on the floor is just unacceptable. icon_lol.gif

Funny, I actually saw that pic on EE a few years ago and when i saw this thread thought immediately of that pic.
    Ditto on both points :D
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253

icon_neutral.gif That looks like the river of pure Evil flowing under NYC in a Ghostbusters movie.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235

here is heave

I really hate overhead cabling ducts. They look bloody awful. What's wrong with putting those cable trays under the floor where they should be ?

As for that guy sitting at a desk around all those cabs, I hope he one day sues for tinitus.

Good thing about cat 6, it isn't that bendy. Electrical wiring is more flexible. That rigidness will necesitate good wiring practises hopefully.
    Kam.
    Looks like cabling in a telephone exchange.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□

here is heave

I hate cable ties, Imagine having to physically trace a cable [you should not need to do that because every thing is labeled], or replace a or move a cable or 2..

you will have to cut all those cable ties make a cable the exact length between the two ports and re-do the cable ties..
    wd40 wrote: »
    I hate cable ties, Imagine having to physically trace a cable [you should not need to do that because every thing is labeled], or replace a or move a cable or 2..

you will have to cut all those cable ties make a cable the exact length between the two ports and re-do the cable ties..
    I ordered a massive roll of velcro when I redid some of the cabling at work.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    I really hate overhead cabling ducts. They look bloody awful. What's wrong with putting those cable trays under the floor where they should be ?

It's often more efficient from an air-con/cooling POV. Many cooling models for DC's has the cold air originating from under the floor and being drawn up through the racks or grids in the floor. The problem you get with shoving cables under the floor, is that if you dont leave a sufficient air space between the 'real floor' and the one the racks sit on is that the bundles of cables/trayworks can stuff up the air flow/pressure and ruin the cooling model completely.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • HolyWarsHolyWars Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think trying to help my mum over the phone to locate the Start Menu would out-weigh anything........and I am not kidding, its beyond a joke now :)
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Wow... That's like an indoor jungle. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a tech swinging from switch to switch like Tarzan. icon_lol.gif
  • neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    Not quite the same scale as mine but it is a jungle. Whoever originally wired never realized what the cable management compartments were for
    1's and 0's