Options

Is Microsoft Dying?

13»

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    It's a little more difficult to lock them down, I think it's much easier to push updates and config changes, at least on the debian-based side of things.

Great, got to love creating single points of failure for even more services. I dunno, asterisk works fine for VoIP deployment, if you really want to spend money, Cisco will be happy to take it. Jabber works fine for IM. All of this can also be integrated with LDAP.

As for the rest of it, I'll leave it alone.

All I'll say is that I believe Microsoft isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, but it has nothing to do with their products being superior, and everything to do with their userbase being inoculated and being either unwilling or unable to function with alternatives.

A trained monkey can push patches and get audit reports via WSUS.

Are you saying Exchange, Active Directory, and Office Communication Server all have no ability to be deployed in highly available configs without single points of failure?

Jabber does not integrate well with other non-IM apps like email, etc. to maintain presence, etc. I'm not saying OCS is a "better" product. I'm saying it's more feature rich, which is true.

This hasn't a thing to do with if Microsoft makes "better" products than stuff for linux or unix. It's simply pointing out they tend to make richer products in terms of features, which often make them more powerful.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    This hasn't a thing to do with if Microsoft makes "better" products than stuff for linux or unix. It's simply pointing out they tend to make richer products in terms of features, which often make them more powerful.

I'm sure you are including cohesiveness in the blanket of "richer products in terms of features". There's something to be said how everything Microsoft is putting out these days ties seamlessly with the other products.

Exchange with OCS with SharePoint with Office etc.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was this guy drunk when he told you this fairytale?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."