Options

Good router to buy

dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
Hi, I am looking to purchase a used router off of ebay. What model do you recommend? I am eventually going to pursue my CCNP so I am looking for something decent.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    If you are looking for one that you can later use for the CCNP / IE certs...I would look at a 2511. It comes w/ an Ethernet int., 2 serials, and 16 async ports (used as a terminal server later in NP / IE labs). This router is usually harder to find and costs a little more. But, in saying this, I would get two routers and a 1900 to practice for your ccna.

Hope this helps
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Ten96, I found some 2514s with 2 ethernet interfaces. Are these better or just as good as the 2511?
    Thanks
  • Options
    a 2514 will work for one of the routers for ccna...but you will not be able to use this as a terminal server (no async ports)...but the two AUI and two serial ports will be good to practice some configs on. ....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    thanks I'll get the 2511 man
  • Options
    Remember....you will not get as much use out of this now...as you will in future exam prep.....if you are wishing to use the async ports, you will need an octal cable.....check out anthonypanda.com...

Are you planning on getting a second router and a switch?
    Kenny

• Options
    Question: why would I need a 2nd router? I do plan to get a switch though yes.
    Thanks again
    -dissolved
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    To set up routing between the first and the second router, static or dynamic routing using routing protocols. You need a second router because you want to create an internetwork.

Check out our Hardware Lab for an example setup:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_hardware.shtml
  • Options
    :D ...exactly
    Kenny

• Options
    so if i got the 2511 router, I could get any other cisco router (2514, 1605 etc) to run the routing protocols??
  • Options
    can anyone recommend a router besides 2511? They are very hard to find. Something good enough for CCNP, CCIE eventually.
    Thanks
  • Options
    also, what questions should I ask the seller. ie: What cables do I need . Does the router have a software license etc? Are those valid questions
  • Options
    dissolved wrote:
    can anyone recommend a router besides 2511? They are very hard to find. Something good enough for CCNP, CCIE eventually.
    Thanks

Well...you can look for anything that has serial and ethernet for your ccna...If you set up a ccnp / ccie lab, you will want to hunt down a 2511 (terminal server) and a 2522 to use as a frame switch......But just about any 2500 series will help you get through the ccna....If you look on ebay, make sure they come with a non- DOA agreement. Another thing to check is the amount of ram and flash in the router...also what the IOS version is...As far as cables go for a regular ccna setup you will need a few straight through cables, transceivers (lan), and a DTE / DCE crossover cable (WAN)...
    Kenny

• Options
    well if 2511 is the only one, I will just get that . I dont mind spending the extra to do things right. Are the cabling requirements the same for purchasing two 2511s? Do I really NEED a software license for home use only?

Thanks again man. big help.,
  • Options
    reread what I posted...I said for ccna you can use just about any 2500 series router... The 2511 would be used more later in CCNP /IE when you have more equipment. Also, I wouldn't pay the money for more than one unless you plan on having 32 devices in your rack. :D ....So, just get one and some other cheap 2500 that has serial and ethernet....and you should be good
    Kenny

• Options
    A suitable 2500 that is often offered for less than $100 is the 2501. Although the current Cisco exams are based on IOS 12+, I wouldn't worry too much about the IOS version, as long as it is at least 11 you'd be able to practice most commands for the CCNA exam.

As for cable requirements, I really suggest looking at the at link I posted a couple of replies earlier...

Another huge topic in this forum is the My Router Lab topic:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    It contains questions and answers to the most common problems people building a Cisco home lab run in to.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Webmaster wrote:
    A suitable 2500 that is often offered for less than $100 is the 2501. Although the current Cisco exams are based on IOS 12+, I wouldn't worry too much about the IOS version, as long as it is at least 11 you'd be able to practice most commands for the CCNA exam.

As for cable requirements, I really suggest looking at the at link I posted a couple of replies earlier...

Another huge topic in this forum is the My Router Lab topic:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3349
    It contains questions and answers to the most common problems people building a Cisco home lab run in to.

Yes that is an excellent thread..
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    I was going to post that thread, but didnt get time.. It took me ahwhile of shopping around, but that is what I came up with 2514, and a 2507, router. I also picked up two enterprise switch's to practice trunking. All collecting dust currently in my closet. Also when you buy your books, i reccomend keeping away from wendell odom. I forgot the other gentleman whom is really good, but I am sure johan can help you with his name. Needless to say, There are obviously other routers, you can buy, but those 2 are common,and meet the trick for a CCNA>

Good luck with it. I do hope to get back to it after about 2 years or so.

Lucky for me, i found a CIS degree that takes my MCSE as elective credits. knocks 2 semesters off.. hehe.. Funny.. It only took a year to get my MCSE.
  • Options
    Pandimus wrote:
    I forgot the other gentleman whom is really good, but I am sure johan can help you with his name.
    That would be Todd Lammle, he wrote the Sybex study guide for the CCNA exam. He is considered the best cert books author by many.
  • Options
    Yes thats the one.. It was on the tip of my toungue, but couldnt get it at the time.