Options

To CCNA or not

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all was just wondering what your take on sitting for the full CCNA vs the two exams are. I feel like the two exam would be easier to concentrate on with some overlap.....but just figured I'd ask.

Comments

• Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Hey all was just wondering what your take on sitting for the full CCNA vs the two exams are. I feel like the two exam would be easier to concentrate on with some overlap.....but just figured I'd ask.

my personal opnion is divide and conquer
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since there is no longer a cost advantage to the one exam route -- and you can earn the CCENT by taking the ICND1 exam -- I now suggest the 2 exam route for people just starting to earn certifications or trying to score that first IT job.

Plus earning the CCENT gives you another line on the resume -- if you need it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I followed the two test route.

I liked this way of study as it allowed you to concentrate on the topics in as much depth as you can so you really let the knowledge sink in for each exam instead of superficially learning the information for an exam covering both sets of topics.
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would go for the 2 exam route, as well. Not only does it allow you to take it in smaller doses, it allows you to study the basics first and pass the CCENT. Then move on to a bit more advanced and pass the CCNA. Even if you are fairly proficient in Cisco equipment, you aren't losing anything by going the two exam route.

And, this is probably a BAD thing to do (set yourself up for failure or something like that) but if you fail, you are only out the $125 and not the $250. Not a good thing to by betting on failure, but in todays economy, I'd rather have a little safety net than none.

Good luck!
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for all the replies everyone....I'm def going to split the exams. I looked over the CCENT contents and it turns out I know 85% of the stuff in the book already so I booked the exam for two weeks from now. Then I'll focus on the more advanced stuff in the second exam. (I've read the second book and done the exercises but I feel like the material is more difficult here because of the hands on aspect).
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Divide and conquer!

Drew
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I put it like this. Do you want to be asked 120 questions max or 60 questions max? I did the one test and passed. Took more time to study but in reality, how much can they really ask in 60 questions out of 1200 pages. I figured the odds were in my favor.