Options

PPP chap authentication

jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
I've been having a problem on my routers maybe someone has seen. I finally bought some WIC cards off e-bay, when I try to enable chap authentication it gives me the error:
aaa: Warning, authentication list "default" is not defined for PPP.

I found a few things when I googled about turning off aaa new-model but there is nothing about it in the config. I put no aaa new-model in the config but it doesn't seem to even show up in the config when I do it. This is a 2611 router, the 2651xm seems to work fine.

One other question, when you set up a username/password database. How can chap tell the difference between the chap and the SSH username/password?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    "How can chap tell the difference between the chap and the SSH username/password? "

R2's config:

Username R1 password cisco

R1's config:

Username R2 password cisco

As you can see the username refers to the other routers hostname.

Hoped this partly helped.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    blackninja wrote: »
    "How can chap tell the difference between the chap and the SSH username/password? "

R2's config:

Username R1 password cisco

R1's config:

Username R2 password cisco

As you can see the username refers to the other routers hostname.

Hoped this partly helped.

thanks ! I had that all wrong I was using R1 for R1. I noticed that on the video and just thought he typed the wrong thing. I should have known better since the video guy is a CCIE. icon_smile.gif
    Thanks again
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jmc012 wrote: »
    thanks ! I had that all wrong I was using R1 for R1. I noticed that on the video and just thought he typed the wrong thing. I should have known better since the video guy is a CCIE. icon_smile.gif
    Thanks again

What video are you watching?