Passed today - word of caution for study materials

xeverytimexeverytime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed SY0-101 today with a score of 810. While I am thrilled to have completed this cert, I would like to offer a word of warning: do NOT rely only on the TestOut CBT for this cert. I realize that diversification is a good rule of thumb for study materials anyway, but it is especially pertinent here. TestOut was my bread and butter for 270, 290, and 291; a comprehensive study resource, in my opinion. This was not the case with the TestOut for Security+. Although there is still good content there, gaps in the material and conflicting terminologies were revealed when I took the exam. If it wasn't for a combination of skimming the Sybex book, recent 70-921 knowledge, and some lucky results in the "multiple guess" department, and not sure I would have passed.

Comments

• toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xeverytime wrote: »
    I passed SY0-101 do NOT rely only on the TestOut CBT for this cert. I realize that diversification is a good rule of thumb for study materials anyway, but it is especially pertinent here. TestOut was my bread and butter for 270, 290, and 291; a comprehensive study resource, in my opinion. This was not the case with the TestOut for Security+. Although there is still good content there, gaps in the material and conflicting terminologies were revealed when I took the exam. If it wasn't for a combination of skimming the Sybex book, recent 70-921 knowledge, and some lucky results in the "multiple guess" department, and not sure I would have passed.

wow that surprises me bacause I was going to use that material for the Security+, well, thanks for the advice and congratulations for passing the exam!! I just passed my 70-284 yesterday and became MCSA!!!
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Congrats on the pass.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    congratulations for passing Security + mate, but tell me this u wrote SY0-101 is 2008 edition out?
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • xeverytimexeverytime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exam I took said "2007 edition." I'm not sure when the next version is being offered, but this was the only one I could register for at my testing site. I am pretty sure that all versions of SY0-101 will be gone by July 31 though: CompTIA Security+™ Certification Overview
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    xeverytime wrote: »
    The exam I took said "2007 edition." I'm not sure when the next version is being offered, but this was the only one I could register for at my testing site. I am pretty sure that all versions of SY0-101 will be gone by July 31 though: CompTIA Security+™ Certification Overview

the new exam is going to be available by June or July, I read it in the website but not really sure.