Options

downloading cisco IOS with a service contract

jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been downloading various different images to run in dynamips for my labs as well as for some equipment I'm planning to buy used for my home lab. In typical fashion, I just clicked "I agree" by rote before I downloaded. When it was taking a little longer for the page to change, I read the bit about cisco charging/cancelling your contract if you downloaded anything that wasn't tied to your contract.

Do they actually bust people for this? Has anyone heard of it happening. I downloaded about 20 different images for platforms supported by dynamips.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jrs91 wrote: »
    I've been downloading various different images to run in dynamips for my labs as well as for some equipment I'm planning to buy used for my home lab. In typical fashion, I just clicked "I agree" by rote before I downloaded. When it was taking a little longer for the page to change, I read the bit about cisco charging/cancelling your contract if you downloaded anything that wasn't tied to your contract.

Do they actually bust people for this? Has anyone heard of it happening. I downloaded about 20 different images for platforms supported by dynamips.
    You really shouldn't just blindly click accept on agreements :P

They can do. I've not heard of anybody getting caught but I'm not actively looking for reports of that and most people aren't going to really want to advertise that. Do it at your own risk. No complaining if they do cancel your contract and charge you for the IOS downloads + fees for the relevant feature sets.
  • Options
    jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know. I felt kinda dumb afterwards and I immediately stopped downloading stuff. I didn't even give it a thought (about getting in trouble for it) because you read everywhere about people using their support contracts to download IOS for cert training purposes, whether for real routers or dynamips.

I'm hoping it's just a provision they use to prevent large scale abuse. Unless they're actively using software to red flag people, I'd think that my violation is a relatively mild one in the big scheme of things.

Anyway, fingers crossed...