Options

Used Networksims anybody?

martineznetmartineznet Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I don't have the cash at the moment to get all the gear I want. I do have a Cisco lab at home, but no PIX/ASA... and only one router that supports MPLS.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Networksims? It is only $58... for a lot of stuff. I don't think you can design your own labs though, just do theirs.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone ever used it?

Comments

• Options
    jrs91jrs91 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynagen/dynamips is useless for switching, but for routing, it's pretty damned awesome. It also comes with a pix emulator now, though I haven't used that yet. You might want to look in to it. Simulators basically suck.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My uni lecturer wrote it :D and i have a free copy as i study at his institution on some of his modules. i havent used it extensively as i tend to stay away from sims.

Its not bad in comparison to some which you pay but i would always go for dynamips & real switches anyday.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    martineznet

I have used networksims. dude please save yourself a headache..
    use GNS3/Dyamips...using real IOS is the ticket...I have used lots of sims.
    and well boson is like the best but even boson has bugs and they suck when you are learning
    and you knowyou typed command correctly and it is a bug in the software. i think they improved network sims but GNS3 is free and if you get yoru idle pc values great it works fantastic. and real IOSs are the ticket you can even do ipv6 on them ifyou have the current ios...and I am sure you can find some IOSs to help you out;)
    just look around.
    pass man pass! IT IS NOT EXPENSIVE BUT and network sims is a good idea but it has bugs man bugs!
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jrs91 wrote: »
    dynagen/dynamips is useless for switching, but for routing, it's pretty damned awesome. It also comes with a pix emulator now, though I haven't used that yet. You might want to look in to it. Simulators basically suck.

Where did you get dynamip/dynagen with the pix emulator?
    Any usefull link would be appreciated.
  • Options
    AutoBahn81AutoBahn81 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have used Network Sims and personally, I HATED it. The simulator was bad, command support was bad, and the practice scenarios were REALLY bad. GNS3 all the way buddy.
    BIT - Network Administration
    MBA - IT Management