Options

Starting MCSA

m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I am seriously considering starting the MCSA track and wanted to know whether to start with the Networking exam 70-290 or the OS exam 70-270 first?

Wasn't exactly sure what most people start with? I plan on using the CompTIA certs for my elective.

Also, from what I've been reading the Sybex and MSPress books seem to be the way to go? What about the EC2 book...saw some decent reviews online.

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Most people start out with the 70-270 then 290-291 you might as well get the 293 also cause there is some overlap from the 291. Also dont underestimate the 270. there is alot more to XP then most people know even if you use it on a daily basis for 8 years. Make sure to know sec templates, RIS, answer files, local gp's, and file\ntfs permissions. The ms press book is good resource. I studied a few chapters I was weak on from that and then watched a few cbt nugget vid's and passed. Good luck.
  • Options
    puertorico123puertorico123 Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have 70-290, i study for 70-291 and 70-620. i considering take 70-260 instead of 70-270. beacuse 70-260 worth toward for the next certification MCITP.

if you have more experience in XP or vista, take firts the OS client, then 70-290.
    HOLD:
    Comptia A+
    Comptia Network+

2009 Plan:
    MCSA...75%
    CCENT....0%
    70-648..0%

2010 Plan:
    MCITP
    ORACLE
  • Options
    Most people start out with the 70-270 then 290-291 you might as well get the 293 also cause there is some overlap from the 291. Also dont underestimate the 270. there is alot more to XP then most people know even if you use it on a daily basis for 8 years. Make sure to know sec templates, RIS, answer files, local gp's, and file\ntfs permissions. The ms press book is good resource. I studied a few chapters I was weak on from that and then watched a few cbt nugget vid's and passed. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply...and not to worry...at this point in my life I do not underestimate anything.

I think I will most likely go ahead and order the MSPress book for the 70-270 and start reading:)

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck! The MSPress book is pretty huge, but so is the exam. Like it was mentioned before, XP has a LOT of information that you wouldn't normally use in a standard enviornment. There is a lot of stuff that is used in domains only and is very in depth. Also, the command line tools are tested on the XP exam.
  • Options
    Another quick question in ref to the 70-270, I was reading online that some people who bought the MSPress book said to supplement it with other references? Basically some said it was enough on its own if you read it and thoroughly understand it and some said its lacking some things.

Some suggested the Fast Press, EC2, etc in addition to the MSPress? So should I get another reference besides the MSPress and looking at the TechNotes from this website? And do you think I should go ahead and pick up the EC2 practice questions book (I have used them before for prior tests and they are half way decent)?

Thanks all,

Michael
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used some videos off the cbt nuggets just to see how certain things where done but thats about it. In my opinion I thought that the press book was enough but I have had many years experience with XP so depends on your situation. I have never heard of ec2 so I couldnt tell you on that. I would say if you have about 5 years experience with XP and you go through the press book hitting your weak areas or areas you dont even know about then you should be ok without other material.