Options

Got the certs, now need to get experience in I.T

tnelson6429tnelson6429 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I decided to switch careers and go into I.T. back in Oct 08. Since then, I have busted my behind and got certified in A+, Net+ and Sec+ icon_cheers.gif

Everyday, I probe the net for entry level jobs and apply to anything I can. I even got an email response saying I wasn't qualified for an entry level help desk position???? I don't get it.....I am even willing to move or deployicon_redface.gif

Just need to vent.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Feel your pain man. First, congrats on getting those certs! Second, with the economy being what it is that is why you got a letter saying you weren't qualified. A lot of postings I have been seeing are asking for years of experience and a bunch of certs for first line phone support. Keep at it and you will find something! Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Yeah, not sure what is up with an "entry level" job requiring years of exp. I'l just keep trying, not sure what else to do.

Thanks for the post and listening to me vent.
    Yeah, not sure what is up with an "entry level" job requiring years of exp. I'l just keep trying, not sure what else to do.

Thanks for the post and listening to me vent.

Because a lot of companies want an experienced admin to do "entry level" work, so they can have the one person to do it all. From first level support to desktop support to server admin stuff... It's no longer an IT department, it's an IT guy. More requirements and job duties for a lot less money in your paycheck.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    I feel your pain. I tried to switch careers into IT for the better part of 2 years before I finally found someone willing to give me a chance (and that was before the economy turned down). I even got turned down for a job at Best Buy due to lack of experience...and I had a solid retail background. Fortunately, my persistence finally paid off, and I now have a Network Tech job with a great company.

I'm sure you've already heard this, but the key for me was stressing transferable skills in my interviews. Try to find skills you've gained in your previous jobs that will transfer to IT. If you're looking for helpdesk work, customer service and/or problem solving skills would transfer well. Look for ways to demonstrate that you've been a dependable and reliable employee in previous jobs. That transfers well to any career.

Good luck with the job search!
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!! I would jump at the chance to show my transferrable skills...I just need to get an actual interview. I am sure it will work out eventually.

At least I have my health icon_thumright.gif LOL
    It can be really tough getting started. Just keep applying. I would recommend reading up on Outlook, Exchange, and SharePoint. Some other items that might help you in an future interview are Blackberry email setup, and ActiveSync.

These are very general topics, but the more you know the better.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    WOOOHOOO, got an interview today adn it went really good! I believe I will get an offer.

It helped that even though I do not have IT exp, I have taught myself Sharepoint & MOSS 2007 along with getting my certs. It is a help desk position with field work and GOD I HOPE I GET IT!!!!!!

icon_lol.gif
    Congrats and keep your hope.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Do you have a home lab? If so I would mention the things that you do in your lab. I once got a job as a Network Technician based purely on the fact that I ran Windows 2003 Server and a Linux file server at my house. A lot of the candidates did not and said in the interview that since they worked on computers all day the last thing they wanted to do was mess with one at home. That turned the employer off because they wanted someone with passion and the willingness to learn new things. Glad to hear your interview went well.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I was a field tech for a year and really enjoyed it. I hate trying to do support over the phone so this really was the best for me!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job on the interview!

My first IT jobs were Geek Squad and then a level 1 help desk. It wasn't until I had both my CCNA and MCSA under my best I actually started getting calls on my resume for entry level jobs. For Geek Squad I had a AA in computer science and A+ cert. By help desk I had added Net+ and finished half my CCNA.

I firmly believe anyone wanting to get their foot in the IT door should look toward the MCDST/MCSA/CCNA combo.

People are also shocked that I highly recommend the Microsoft Office certs. I am SHOCKED when people can't take care of basic Macro and compatabilty issues in Office.

Lastly, get some volunteer work under you belt. Libraries, churches etc.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Do you have a home lab? If so I would mention the things that you do in your lab. I once got a job as a Network Technician based purely on the fact that I ran Windows 2003 Server and a Linux file server at my house. A lot of the candidates did not and said in the interview that since they worked on computers all day the last thing they wanted to do was mess with one at home. That turned the employer off because they wanted someone with passion and the willingness to learn new things. Glad to hear your interview went well.

As a matter of fact, I built a server in my home from the ground up, including the hardware and explained that to them. I also told them I would practive making RJ-45 cables in my home too. They were impressed that I took it to the next level outside of school.

I felt that if this was something I really wanted to get into, then I needed to explore outside of the classroom and after hours. Most people learn hands on anyway, so why not???? I felt like I accomplished so much on my own and that also came through when I described my actions during the interview.icon_cheers.gif