Options

CCNA path suggestions, please!

pctechcareypctechcarey Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have just finished my path to MCSE:Security 2003 and various other certs. I have been a bench tech for almost three years. I am looking to start on the Cisco path and was wondering what the best suggested path would be. I am not very familiar with the Cisco certs and what is availiable. I see most points towards the Cisco press books but need some direction on the what exams to start with. Thank You!

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To just start out with Cisco, I'd start with the CCENT, which is the new entry level certification. It is the first of the two part of the CCNA (you can also take the 802, which is the one exam option for the CCNA).

The Sybex book by Todd Lammelle is highly recommended by others and myself.

But, with little Cisco experience, you should start with the CCENT then the CCNA to learn the basics.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Every Cisco cert you'll see requires the CCNA first. The CCNA is acquired by either taking 1 exam or 2. Taking the 2-exam path gives you the CCENT along the way.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    With little to no Cisco experience, I would tell you to start with the CCENT exam first (640-822). After that, go for the 640-816 exam.

I personally prefer the Sybex book(s) over the Cisco Press for this series of exams. The reason for me, being that it reads easier. If you can get both, even better!

You will want to get some equipment to practice with or a good simulator. A lot of people here suggest GNS3/Dynamips... This requires you to get a real Cisco IOS though.

I personally like Packet Tracer... However, it's not easy for some people to get, since you should have to have been in the Cisco Networking Academy to access the download for it.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    I have just finished my path to MCSE:Security 2003 and various other certs. I have been a bench tech for almost three years. I am looking to start on the Cisco path and was wondering what the best suggested path would be. I am not very familiar with the Cisco certs and what is availiable. I see most points towards the Cisco press books but need some direction on the what exams to start with. Thank You!

pctechcarey,

To translate from "Microsoft Certification-ese" to "Cisco Certification-ese", an equivalent to the MCP certification with a single exam requirement would be the Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician or CCENT(tm) for short. In order to achieve CCENT(tm) certification, you need to take and pass the 640-822 ICND1 exam. In order to prepare for the 640-822 ICND1 exam, here are the options:
    1. Take the ICND1 course through a Cisco Learning Partner.
    2. Take the CCNA Discovery curriculum through a Cisco Networking Academy near you.
    3. Obtain the Cisco Press books for the 640-822 ICND1 exam:
      1. Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition
      2. CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition

The ICND1 course is 5 days long. The CCNA Discovery curriculum can take up to 1 year to complete. The Cisco Press option is self-study so you can take as long as you want as long as the the 640-822 ICND1 exam is still valid.

Source:
    1. Cisco Learning Partner
      1. Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) v1.0 - Learning Offerings
    2. Cisco Networking Academy
      1. Course Catalog - CCNA Discovery - CCNA Discovery - Course Catalog - Cisco Systems
      2. Cisco Networking Academy - CCNA Discovery - Data Sheet - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/downloads/pdf/CCNAdiscoveryDS.pdf
    3. Cisco Press
      1. Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition - Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition - $48.00
      2. CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition - CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition - $31.99
  • Options
    pctechcareypctechcarey Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the reply's. I appreciate it. I think I will be going for the CCENT path as suggested. Thanks Again!!!
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    If nothing else ICND1 is a good confidence builder!

Drew