Options

Mixing and matching WIC-1T and 2T

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm kinda confused about the serial cables and 1T and 2T connections, does a single, non double sided serial have one end for a 1T and a 2T connector? What is special about the double sided cables?

What is the best mix of serial cables for a lab environment? Is it a good idea to get one 1T WIC and maybe a 2T with the two connectors. I'm not really to worried about topology right now since I'm just shopping around but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't know what you mean by double sided cable.

WIC-1T = 1x DB60
    WIC-2T = 2x SmartSerial

You can buy serial cables with any combination of those plugs on the end. Standardise on one type of connection. What one you choose is up to you.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Not sure what you mean by double sided cables either.

You use X.21 cables with DTE/DCE end with these. Connectors can be DB15, DB60 or Smart Serial. Wic-2T is used in a router WIC slot to connect two serial links to two other router slots (typically the other end is DB15/DB60)

Great for putting into a router and then connecting to a pair of cheep 2503's to play with serial links.

Wic-1T is a DB60 is pretty much the same thing except it is one serial port.

You need to make sure you have the DCE/DTE ends and one port must provide the clocking, etc. You can get these cables off ebay for very cheap prices. Make sure you get the correct ends.
    Kam.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    WIC1T = 1 physical interface, 1 Logical Interface, 1 Physical Interface Card
    WIC2T = 2 Physical Interfaces, 2 Logical Interfaces, 1 Physical Interface Card

There is not double sided connector.... You simply have two intefaces with a WIC2T to provide for 2 seperate serial connections

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Hmm.. I'm not sure where I saw the double sided connector at, I thought I saw people referencing it on Ebay but I can't seem to find it. But I get what your talking about, they probably just meant that it could be hooked up to another router.

I always thought DTE/DCE was supplied by the router that was set for clocking in the IOS, why are different ends on the serial cable required to be the DTE and the DCE?

What are the routers to look for when trying to get the best bang for the buck WAN connection wise? Buying either 1T or 2T WICs seem kinda expensive, with 1T being $20-30 and 2T being about $40 or so.

It seems like buying a 2600 (maybe XM series) with two 2T WICs would make a good frame-relay router and getting some cheaper 2500 or low end 2600 series routers to be the branches would be a good idea. Does the 2500 routers have built in DB60 ports, which would save money? Does all the 2600 require WICs for serial connections?

Thanks for the clear up about either end can be 1T or 2T, it seems like it would be annoying to have to buy all 2T WICs if you just wanted one WAN interface on a router.

Edit: I'd like to also ask, does anything change when you have a WIC with a built in T1 CSU/DSU? Do you need both cards on each end of the router?
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=279163&image=232191174&images=215183557,232191174,232191198&formats=0,0,0&format=0