Options

MCSA; how to start, Electives etc

stevi3stevi3 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Ive just recently started looking at the MCSA and just wanted to know about the CompTIA Electives, how they work and is it useful going that particular route rather than the presets for the MCSA itself.

Sounds a lil vague, but just ask if you need more info!

Steven

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, the only presets for MCSA are a client, a server, and 291. The last is an elective, of which there are several to choose from. I like the Security+ from CompTIA for the elective, since so many jobs (especially Gov't) require it nowadays, and it can also be used as an elective if you plan to go the full MCSE route.

The A+/Net+ or A+/Server+ options will not count towards an MCSE.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The A+/N+ combo will only work as electives for the MCSA - not the MCSE. If you want to go for the MCSE or MCITP I would suggest taking an MS elective rather than CompTia (unless you want the MCSE:Security then Security+ would be a good choice). CompTia exams are also more expensive, so you would spend $400 in exam fees to cover a $125 elective.

I recommend that you use an MS elective. You can take XP (270) as a client exam and Vista (620) as an elective which would also give you an MCTS and the client exam for the MCITP:EA. Taking a different elective such as Exchange would be better, but you really should have some Exchange experience before you tackle that one.

You could choose the CompTia route if you want to round out your resume a little more. You may still be applying for jobs that require or prefer an A+ and/or Network+ and you want your resume to pass that HR filter. Also, CompTia exams are good for life.