This is a Cisco 2955, basically a 2950-12 on steroids

WS-C2955S-12.gif

Comments

• Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Netwurk wrote: »
    This is a Cisco 2955, basically a 2950-12 on steroids

WS-C2955S-12.gif

is this a fortified bullet proof switch that is destined for afghanistan? i bet half of that is cooling fans
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Definately not bulletproof... wouldn't do well in a sandy environment either. For that matter, it wouldn't do well in anything other than a well ventilated and cooled room.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I used to have a bunch of 2955's (I worked on a multi-year process control system replacement project at a couple of plants a number of years back). They were great, they'd be great in a lab, and all your colleagues would wonder what the heck they were... only problem is they're DC powered and they're probably still expensive - even used - due to their ability to survive in "nasty places". :)
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Definately not bulletproof... wouldn't do well in a sandy environment either. For that matter, it wouldn't do well in anything other than a well ventilated and cooled room.
    Absolutely the opposite.

They're convection cooled = no fans. They are designed to operate in environments from -40 F to +140 F in 10-90% humidity at 0-10,000 ft while you're holding them in one hand and a jackhammer in the other. This is Industrial Ethernet equipment, not stuff designed for a clean data center.

I'll admit that they aren't bullet proof though. ;)
  • Options
    tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    it looks like something out of Battle Star galactica comms room, " after the cyclon invasion millions of humans perished, one switch will save them all...."
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hmm, the prices range from low hundreds to about $3,000, I might be tempted to pick one up for my lab if I could get a lucky deal. Would be something else to drive my IT counterpart nuts, over here in our pit. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Hmm, the prices range from low hundreds to about $3,000, I might be tempted to pick one up for my lab if I could get a lucky deal. Would be something else to drive my IT counterpart nuts, over here in our pit. icon_lol.gif
    I can see it now, forget a rack just screw a DIN rail into the wall behind your desk and mount a bunch of them :)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Slowhand wrote: »

Is it just me or are ebay pictures usually better than Cisco's?
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Is it just me or are ebay pictures usually better than Cisco's?
    Typical. Cisco pics suck usually, they used to include all angles and such, now you're lucky if you get more than one shot.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    astorrs wrote: »
    Typical. Cisco pics suck usually, they used to include all angles and such, now you're lucky if you get more than one shot.

I know, I have to scour the web for my cisco ****.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I know, I have to scour the web for my cisco ****.
    Hot router on switch action?

Look at the rackmounts on that chassis!