Options

Can i do anything with this old lab of mine?

tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
hi guys... great site here. probably learned more in the last week of lurking than i did all last year. anyway, 3 years ago i was all gung ho about getting my CCNA, then i had some health issues and one thing led to another... well, i never finished, and ive decided im going to do it now. i bought some stuff that im not even sure is viable anymore. i think the memory is maxed on all these, can you guys let me know if i need to upgrade or purchase anything else to get through the new test?

(2) 2503 routers
(1) 2520
(1) 2511 as access server
(1) catalyst 2900 XL switch.

thanks a lot guys.

icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You still need a router to do Router-on-a-Stick -- and SDM support is a new requirement. A 1721 (with 2 WIC-1T or 1 WIC-2T is a good choice for that and it can be you frame-relay hub router, with the 2 2503s being your spokes. Make sure you get one that has 64meg DRAM (or more, if possible) and 32Meg Flash and the latest and greatest 12.4 Enterprise IOS (and the power supply brick). I think the 1700 series IOS files can also be used with Dynamips and Dynagen (or GNS3),

Hopefully the 2900XL is a 2924-XL-EN -- that's the closest 2900 series model to a the 2950. But almost any 2900 series makes a good "3rd switch." The 2950 switches are now under $100 on eBay, with some persistant members winning some in the $70-80 dollar range.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Or a lucky bastard can get one for $50! (me!).

Don't let the health issues get in the way this time. Work through the pain. Crawl to the site and take the exam. Don't give up! :D You'll pass, you have a good start already, and once you start studying again, it'll all come back to you.

Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks for the input guys... i have the old CBT Nuggets (with upgrade), the course from Bryant Advantage, and the books by Lammle and Odem to get me through. i may pick up a router sim to install at work.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tdean wrote: »
    hi guys... great site here. probably learned more in the last week of lurking than i did all last year. anyway, 3 years ago i was all gung ho about getting my CCNA, then i had some health issues and one thing led to another... well, i never finished, and ive decided im going to do it now. i bought some stuff that im not even sure is viable anymore. i think the memory is maxed on all these, can you guys let me know if i need to upgrade or purchase anything else to get through the new test?

(2) 2503 routers
    (1) 2520
    (1) 2511 as access server
    (1) catalyst 2900 XL switch.

thanks a lot guys.

icon_study.gif

You need more modern gear really. Upgrade or consider dynamips or rack hire. That said you can practice a good deal with what you already have. Minus a few features I have been able to cobble together lots of sections from CCIE lab workbooks on my trusty stack of 11 x 2500 series routers at home. The rest I cover on remote racks.
  • Options
    what else do you think i should get? i dont have much $$ right now. all i plan on doing is getting CCNA now, then move to either MS 2008 or CCNP. not sure.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Well you only have one switch, do that math! Some other switch so you can do VLAN, interVLAN routing and router on a stick like said above.
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote: »
    Well you only have one switch, do that math! Some other switch so you can do VLAN, interVLAN routing and router on a stick like said above.
    ok... so you guys think adding a 1721 will get me to the big dance?

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    As a related question, how do the 26xx series stack up against the 1721?

I've been looking at getting at 1721, but would prefer something rack-mountable with a standard power cord.

Thanks.
    Drew