Options

CCNA Wireless exam scheduled for March 20th

Fish!Fish! Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
My exam is just two days away! I have been studying like mad for two weeks and don't feel like I am prepared.

A little background...

I have been building networks and working with Cisco gear since 1995. In all that time I have generally ignored certifications and have done whatever is necessary to get the job done. I have broad experience in routing, switching, security, voice, and wireless.

Well, things change, and recently I decided I needed to get a few Cisco certifications under my belt (finally).

A few weeks back, I passed the CCNA after one day of studying, and passed the CCNA Security a week later. I wouldn't attribute my success to extensive study, rather, my extensive experience.

I have been studying hard for the CCNA Wireless exam since March 7th. There is little study material available for this exam. I have the Cisco press book and some of the resources that redwarrior has pointed to (thanks redwarrior!) as well as powerpoint slides and lab excersizes from the 5-day IUWNE training course (that I haven't attended). Reading the experiences of others that have taken this exam has me a bit concerned though.

Mind you, I did not feel ready for the CCNA Security, but went and knocked it out of the park. The 'SPECIALIZE' retake promotion has me probably taking the wireless exam before I am ready, but we will see.

My problem with the CCNA Wireless is not only the lack of study resources, but also the cost of equipment. The CCNA and CCNA Security can be done with GNS3 or a cheap 2600xm from eBay. Even the CCNA Voice can be done with a 2600xm with a 48M flash upgrade to play with CME. However, it seems that CCNA Wireless requires something like $4000 of equipment, none of which has an emulator or any kind of 'budget' alternative.

I do have a pair of Aironet 1131AG's, a 1242AG, and some older 1231G access points that I acquired for a good price a while back. Unfortunately, autonomous access point configuration is barely touched in the CCNA Wireless. Access to a controller for labbing seems almost mandatory.

Out of sheer frustration I dropped $800 on a used 2106 WLC. The funny part is that it probably won't be here until after I take the exam on Friday. With my luck, I will probably pass. icon_lol.gif

Does anyone who has taken this exam have any words of wisdom?

Comments

• Options
    Well my controller arrived just today so I will be labbing hard over the next 24 hours right into the exam. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Best of luck let us know how you did.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Good Luck!
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

I've been pricing the WLC2106, but haven't seen any deals yet as good as the one you got.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mike, honestly I just got REALLY lucky on ebay. It was tough to drop the cash for the WLC2106 but after playing with it today it was REALLY worth it. My original plan was to put the WLC back up on ebay in a few weeks but the thing is so cool I don't want to part with it. icon_lol.gif With CCNP Wireless coming out this fall I may end up hanging on to it. I am toying with the idea of offering a rack rental to the community by hooking the WLC up to my terminal server along with my two 1131 AP's so people can VPN in and lab it up.

I really haven't found any rack rentals with a WLC and APs....anyone seen a wireless rack rental?
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif

I've been pricing the WLC2106, but haven't seen any deals yet as good as the one you got.
  • Options
    Fish! wrote: »
    honestly I just got REALLY lucky on ebay.
    Probably when I slacked off on my searching! :D

I guess if I get bored someday I'll try and research the older 2000 series and try and figure out how much difference there is with the newer 2100 series..... or maybe someone here already has some experience and could shed some light on the subject. I guess I'd want to know -- is the 2006 WLC to the 2106 WLC what the 2924-XL-EN switch is to the 2950 switch for the CCNA?
  • Options
    The 2006 tops out at firmware 4.2. 4.2 will get you there (ver 5.0 is the new 'gold standard' so be forewarned). The 2006 is a MUCH better buy than the 4100 series controllers, those top out at firmware ver 3.1. I've seen those go for the price of lunch recently.

mikej412 wrote: »
    Probably when I slacked off on my searching! :D

I guess if I get bored someday I'll try and research the older 2000 series and try and figure out how much difference there is with the newer 2100 series..... or maybe someone here already has some experience and could shed some light on the subject. I guess I'd want to know -- is the 2006 WLC to the 2106 WLC what the 2924-XL-EN switch is to the 2950 switch for the CCNA?
  • Options
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

The more I hear about this exam, the harder it sounds! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats and thanks for the links last night.