Options

Demand dial routing vs Remote access

MarkieMarkie Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can someone please refresh my memory as to what the differnece is between "demand dial routing" and "remote access" is.

Im of the impression that demand dial routing refers to the situation where you have 2 routers at each end (i.e. 2 Windows Server 2003 computers at each end runing the Routing and Remote Access Service). One example could be 2 VPN servers making up an extranet.

However, with remote access, its more like a server-client scenario. Here, you have clients (that have no routing capabilities) that connect to a router (i.e. a Windows Server 2003 computer running RRAS). One example would be several home users who dial in to their corporate VPN server.

Is this essentially correct?

Any comments would be apprecaited.
The oxen is slow but the earth is patient!!!!

Comments

• Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    I just brushed up on this yesterday so I feel qualified to answer. :)

Basically, you're correct. Demand-Dial routing is used to connect two networks together over a WAN, usually when the cost or practicality of a dedicated line doesn't warrant one.

Remote Access is, like you said, used on a client-server level.

Remember that a router needs to be able to distinguish between a remote access client and a router calling for a demand-dial routing connection. Username must match the name of the demand-dial interface of the answering router or it's assumed that it's a remote access client.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"