Options

ONT up next, BSCI and BCMSN done...

ciscojay-houstonciscojay-houston Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
So now that I've got routing and swithing out of the way, my fear is that ONT is going to hand it to me, hard. I don't work with any type of wireless management, so I'm thinking that the WLSE or WLC simulations will be tough.

I read through the Cisco press Exam cert book, and now working through other prep materials. I've got experience with QoS and simple wireless (12xx and 871W models), but I'm curious as to what recommended type of training others are using. icon_study.gif

Jay M.
Houston, TX.
CCNA,CCSA,CCA,MCSE
BCMSN- Oct. 2008
BSCI- Feb. 2009
ONT- Apr. 2009 (est.)
ISCW- June 2009 (est.)

Comments

• Options
    joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same situation as you as far as the testing. I have passed bsci/bcmsn, and now studying for ONT. I work with wireless quite a bit at work, and what I have found while studying is many of the practice questions could probably be answered by just reading the data sheets and "sales" style web pages for each wireless product, WLC, WLSE, WCS, etc. I can tell you from hands on experience, all these features they praise about the WCS do not work that well in the enterprise. They claim it has a "site-survey" feature. All I can say is if you're using WCS for a site survey....I wouldn't want to be an end user on your wlan! :)
    Josh, CCNP CWNA
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    CBT Nuggets --
    Cisco Official student training guides.
  • Options
    cowood2676cowood2676 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with netteaser, use the CBT Nuggets, I just completed the ONT. Some advice I would give is to play with SDM, set up a typical Qos policy and study the results closely. Make sure you understand and can read Class-maps, Policy-maps, and service policy. Understand Tos, Cos, DSCP, IP Precedence, and all that goes with calssification and marking of traffic at layer 2 and 3. Know the different types of delays ie Propagation, End-to-end, Queueing, and B sub c, T sub c formulas for calculating the delay for policing and shaping...and the difference between the two....and most of all just relax if you have BSCI and BCMSM, then this test will be a cake walk...it has been the easiest for me so far, and I only had a little voice experience with Qos
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    cowood2676 wrote: »
    I agree with netteaser, use the CBT Nuggets, I just completed the ONT. Some advice I would give is to play with SDM, set up a typical Qos policy and study the results closely. Make sure you understand and can read Class-maps, Policy-maps, and service policy. Understand Tos, Cos, DSCP, IP Precedence, and all that goes with calssification and marking of traffic at layer 2 and 3. Know the different types of delays ie Propagation, End-to-end, Queueing, and B sub c, T sub c formulas for calculating the delay for policing and shaping...and the difference between the two....and most of all just relax if you have BSCI and BCMSM, then this test will be a cake walk...it has been the easiest for me so far, and I only had a little voice experience with Qos

I'm planning to take ONT next week, and I figure being able to do QoS through SDM and MQC are things they're going to hit. Doing QoS through MQC is about the only thing I can see them actually throwing a Sim at me for, the VoIP configurations in the ONT course material seems too simple to rate one.

I was having a few problems studying for ONT initially, mostly because it's something of a pain to get the hands on for VoIP and the Wireless stuff without investing some serious cash, but the more I study for it, the easier it seems to get... there's really only three subjects you have to know, which is a whole lot less than the other exams.