VMware Host - xp x64 or vista ultimate x64

bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I think I'm asking an obvious question here but what do you guys think is a better choice for a host of VMware workstation? XP 64 or vista ultimate x64. I'm planning on setting up MCSA/MCSE lab and I'm trying to think of all my options. I have 8GB of RAM.

Thanks,
Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no choice. Vista 64bit.

Vista 64bit >>>>>>> dog crap >>>> XP 64bit.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hardware?
    -Daniel
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    If you are using it purely for VM then go with VMWare or hyper-v core

Save on resources.

I run Win2008 with Hyper-v on my laptop and its great
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If this machine isn't being used for other purposes then why not put ESXi on it? It'll free up more resources for your machines and you can manage it remotely from the comfort of your desktop machine.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    RTmarc wrote: »
    There is no choice. Vista 64bit.

Vista 64bit >>>>>>> dog crap >>>> XP 64bit.

What's so bad about XP x64?
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have Asus P5N-D mobo with Q6600 in it. 3 HDD - 120GB primery dual-boot and 2 640GB data and backup. Its a machine that I use one a daily basis.
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
    undomiel wrote: »
    If this machine isn't being used for other purposes then why not put ESXi on it? It'll free up more resources for your machines and you can manage it remotely from the comfort of your desktop machine.

Depends on the hardware of the host machine. He hasn't given the specifics on that. If it is compatible, I say go with it over Workstation.
    aquageek wrote: »
    What's so bad about XP x64?

I worked with XP64 for months and there were more non-compatible programs and stability issues with it than I could possibly shake a stick at. It left a pretty nasty taste in my mouth. Luckily, Vista64 looks to have corrected a lot of those problems.
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I run my Workstation on Vista x64 - Q6600 - 6GB RAM and no problems at all.

2 ESX
    1 OpenFiler
    3 2K3
    1 Leopard

Your config will work for the lab that you need.

Good luck.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%