Options

Studying material for 70-621

katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just finished passing the 70-290 today with a 868, and I already have the MCDST. I plan on doing the 70-621, now before moving on to the 70-291. Which book do you recommend? Also will just setting up a computer with Vista and fooling around be enough, or are there some scenarios that I should try to do?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    geeveegeevee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're following the exact same path as me! I recently passed the 70-290 and I'm now studying for the 70-621, I've found that the material out there specifically for this exam is a bit lean so I'm using the guides I've found here and proprofs for 70-620. I've also purchased this book : Amazon.com: MCITP Windows Vista Support Technician All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam 70-620, 70-622, And 70-623): Darril Gibson: Books which says it covers all three Vista client exams, I'm onto chapter 5 so far so I can't give a definitive review on it but it certainly is a nice read (compared to the MS Press books!) Worth a look :)
  • Options
    Also another question that I had was how long did you guys study before taking this test? I plan on putting in about a hour a day.
  • Options
    bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    katakatak wrote: »
    Also another question that I had was how long did you guys study before taking this test? I plan on putting in about a hour a day.

This is really up to you and how comfortable you feel with what you've learned. I tried taking this test last year and I didn't pass - twice. I had some experience with Vista but not as much with XP. At that time I had the 2nd shot offer from MS and I guess I felt like I could pass. I'm starting to study again for 621 after passing A+ and this time I'm planning on really sitting down and passing on the first try even though I'm still going to use the 2nd shot offer.
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    geeveegeevee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    katakatak wrote: »

I passed the 70-290 on the 16th of March and I've got the 70-261 booked for the 11th of May, so I've given myself approx 2 months to get through the study material and feel ready. I'm reading in my lunch break at work and then working on my VM in the evenings, so probably about 2-3 hours a day roughly.

As bogdan5 says, it really is down to how you feel - I like to book my exam to put myself under a bit of pressure, if I know I have a fixed date I find it really helps me crack on with the study - hehe.

Have fun studying :)
  • Options
    bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    geevee wrote: »
    I passed the 70-290 on the 16th of March and I've got the 70-261 booked for the 11th of May, so I've given myself approx 2 months to get through the study material and feel ready. I'm reading in my lunch break at work and then working on my VM in the evenings, so probably about 2-3 hours a day roughly.

As bogdan5 says, it really is down to how you feel - I like to book my exam to put myself under a bit of pressure, if I know I have a fixed date I find it really helps me crack on with the study - hehe.

Have fun studying :)

It's not really a fixed date. You can reschedule it as many times as you want to. I think up to one year from the original registration for the test.
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys! Outside of just using Vista, is there any labs you recommend I try doing? I remember before I took the 70-290, there was a great M$ website with various labs called 'A Day in the Life of a Systems Administrator.' I am thinking something like that, or just some recommendations, 'Do a dual-boot,' 'Try using Windows Defender', etc.