Options

Cisco Router for my next MS exam

2»

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    tiersten wrote: »
    You sure the NM-1FE-TX works in a 2600XM? I always thought they were for 3600 and above. The 2600/2600XM was limited to the regular Ethernet NMs like the NM-1E, NM-4E or the NM-16ESW. I've never actually tried it though.

The Cisco datasheet for the NM-1FE-TX lists it as not being available for a 2600/2600XM.

I bought a NM-1FE-TX for a 2610XM and it wouldnt work. So then I got a 3640 (wouldn't want to waste a perfectly good network module).
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    So then I got a 3640 (wouldn't want to waste a perfectly good network module).
    Can't fault your logic there ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility PDF on the Cisco Portable Product Sheets web page.

The Router Memory PDF is also a good read to help plan your MS home lab Cisco Router purchases.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    surfthegeckosurfthegecko Member Posts: 149
    Thanks for all your help.
    I have just purchased a 2621xm which arrives tomorrow, cant wait.
    I managed to source a 1600 series as well just as something else to use (although its being tempermental).

Router: 2621xm
    Memory: 128/32
    IOS: 12.4(15)T
    CME version: 4.01

Anyway I will be setting this up as soon as I get this tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
  • Options
    Hmm. You're a little tight on memory/flash to run 12.4T on a 32MB flash 2600XM. CCO recommend that you have 48MB flash and 192MB memory just for 12.4T IP voice. The 12.4T IP Voice IOS by itself is 27MB. I'm guessing that it does work if the seller advertised it with 12.4T + CME.

If you do want to upgrade to 256MB memory on a 2600XM then you need a version 12.2(8r) boot ROM for the upgrade to work. It will take the upgrade to 48MB flash without any problems.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Thanks for all your help.
    I have just purchased a 2621xm which arrives tomorrow, cant wait.
    I managed to source a 1600 series as well just as something else to use (although its being tempermental).

Anyway I will be setting this up as soon as I get this tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Hey I think that's a good router for what you want to do.
  • Options
    Thanks Hypnotoad.

Tiersten, I double checked and although it recommends 128/48MB it will run on the 32MB. I know somebody that has done it.
    The actual IOS is only 19MB, I have it ready to install so should be fine. If needed though I will upgrade but dont think I will need to immediately.
    Well fingers crossed anyway icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Tiersten, I double checked and although it recommends 128/48MB it will run on the 32MB. I know somebody that has done it.
    Yeah. I said that it'd probably be okay if the seller already has that on there.
    The actual IOS is only 19MB, I have it ready to install so should be fine.
    Is that an IP Voice version of 12.4T? 12.4.15T8 IP Voice comes up as 27031784 bytes on CCO for me. IP Voice is the smallest featureset that actually supports VoIP. If you don't have at least that then CME won't work.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway because you're using the router as a plain router anyway and not doing any voice on it.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I guess it doesn't matter anyway because you're using the router as a plain router anyway and not doing any voice on it.
    Yet......

I didnt realise this, I do want to eventually use voice, think I might have got slightly confused. At least it still fits (just), I will have to upgrade if neccesary.

I dont think i read your first post properly so sorry about that.

On a more jolly note, I held this little puppy today... plugged it in via usb/console cable and powered her up. My first ever real life router bootup. You just cant replace that feeling.....