Options

CCNA to CCNP, to CCIE?

DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Of course this is WAY in the future. But figured I would ask. I am pursuing my CCNA right now and am almost ready to sit for it.

My main goal is CCIE. That being said, should I do CCNP first? Is it required (I didnt think it was)

CCNA took me 3 months to prepare for
How long does it take to prepare for the CCNP? What about CCIE (know this is a huge one)

Thanks and dont kill the noobie! lol

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To answer one of your questions....CCNP is required to move to the next level...CCIE. As for how long does it take to complete the CCNP I don't know...I myself am preparing for the CCNA.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    CCNP is not needed to go after the CCIE....neither is the CCNA. The reason for this...the CCIE is Cisco's first certification. They created the ccna / np later. Saying this, I would not even think about unless you have completed the CCNP. That way you can get an idea of the level of material you will be faced with. I have taken and passed the written exams for R/S and Security...Now that I have my rack set up at the house, I will not sit the lab until I have several hundred hours practicing configurations. And then...if everything goes alright, I will only have to sit the 1250.00 lab once....hopefully......
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    DanhDanh Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    CCNP is not needed to go after the CCIE....neither is the CCNA. The reason for this...the CCIE is Cisco's first certification. They created the ccna / np later. Saying this, I would not even think about unless you have completed the CCNP. That way you can get an idea of the level of material you will be faced with. I have taken and passed the written exams for R/S and Security...Now that I have my rack set up at the house, I will not sit the lab until I have several hundred hours practicing configurations. And then...if everything goes alright, I will only have to sit the 1250.00 lab once....hopefully......

Ten9t6, how long did it take you (studying time) to achieve your CCNA? What about CCNP?

How much time have you put into studying for the CCIE?

Finally, how old are you? that is quite a list of certs

Thank you guys
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    haha..

I spent a few months off and on studying for my CCNA. But, I was also configuring Cisco routers for work (low level stuff). My CCNP...which I started about a year later took me about 7 months or so. In saying that, I think both of those certs were easier to get then, than they are now. I really started working towards my CCIE while I was doing my CCNP / DP work. All in all...I have been working towards my CCIE for about a 2 years. If I don't get off my butt and start doing some more hands on work on my rack....I will have to retake the written exams come mid December. I have been working more on some of my security stuff lately. I just need to get focused.

For your last question....I am 30.....haha..man that is painful to say...seems like I was just in high school....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA