Options

MCITP:EST and MCITP:DA for Windows 7!

JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
MS is developing the MCITP: Enterprise Support Tech cert for Windows 7 but also in development is the MCITP: Desktop Administrator cert for Windows 7.

This sounds more up my alley. I hated being branded a "EST" when my job was basically tier 2-3 stuff all day long.

More info here:

Born to Learn : Sneak peek at Windows 7 exam development

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wasn't the MCITP:EST for techs would provide level 2 or 3 support anyway? To me Enterprise Support Tech sounds better than Desktop Administrator but that is just my opinion. I think MS is getting carried away with all of there certification names. I remember the good old days when there was just MCDST, now is Microsoft going to have 4 certs for support techs? MCTS:Windows 7, MCITP:CST (Consumer Support Tech), MCITP:EST, and MCITP: DA?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    DSTs are generally tier 1-2 (1 if theres no helpdesk).

DA's are generally 2 but mostly 3, in large infrastructures they set up images/deployments and ensure that the actual desktop policies and things are working appropriately.

Such large environments often segregate workstation and server support with different admins.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    DSTs are generally tier 1-2 (1 if theres no helpdesk).

DA's are generally 2 but mostly 3, in large infrastructures they set up images/deployments and ensure that the actual desktop policies and things are working appropriately.

Such large environments often segregate workstation and server support with different admins.

That is interesting, I guess I was looking at it from the perspective of a small to medium sized business were the jobs are not really seperated as much. Thanks for the info, I emailed the dude from Microsoft to see if I can help with the MCITP: DA development.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    A Windows 7 cert sounds like a moral booster at this early stage not really a career booster imho. icon_rolleyes.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    Andretii wrote: »
    A Windows 7 cert sounds like a moral booster at this early stage not really a career booster imho. icon_rolleyes.gif

Um they arent released. It will likely be atleast a year before they are even in Beta.

There is nothing wrong with looking forward at what will be available and how one can upgrade their certs. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm just wondering if there will be a transition path from MCDST (XP) to Windows 7, without having to take any Vista exams.
  • Options
    RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certainly there has got to be an upgrade path from MCDST (XP) to the Windows 7 certs. I'm just not interested in Vista since not a lot of people (business, government agencies, education, etc.) are migrating to it. Lots more folks will look at Windows 7 before even thinking about Vista. Still wondering about the certification upgrade path though.
  • Options
    I am hoping there is an upgrade path from MCITP:EST to MCITP:DA.

Id prefer the DA and dont want to start over at the bottom.