Options

Applying credentials to the MCSA

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hello all,

I was reading up on the MCSA. I am thinking about going after this when I am done with the Network+ (I am beginning to feel ready for the test). I am a little confused by this statement on Microsoft's requirements...
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
To receive an elective credit toward the MCSA certification, candidates must earn the CompTIA A+ credential and either the CompTIA Network+ credential or the CompTIA Server+ credential. Alternatively, candidates can earn the CompTIA Security+ credential.

Does this mean you could do a+ wi/ Security+? or does this mean you could just do Security+ instead of A+? icon_confused.gif: The whole "alternatively" part through me off.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    They mean you can do either what comes before the "alternatively" or what comes after it...so your choices are:
    - A+ / Network+
    - A+ / Server+
    - Security+
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Thanks, it really had me scratching my head. I guess I just thought that was too easy to be true. Is the Security+ really that hard compare to Network+ and A+ together????
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    While it's not required, it's highly recommended that you have the kind of experience and training you'd need for both A+ and Network+ before going after the Security+ certification. Security+ is considered a rung higher on the CompTIA ladder, a sort of extension of the regular entry-level certs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Somehow I knew it wasn't as easy as it looked, thanks! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mjfwebbmjfwebb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about crashing this topic with my own question (but as it was completely relevant I didn't think it warranted a new topic).

I've read about the pre-requisites for MSCA being A+, Network+ and Security+...

I was curious that if these were compulsary certifications to even begin training to be a MSCA or if they were just recommended?

Hello too by the way! I hope to become a MSCA then MSCE and will be studying hard and seeking your counsel icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    mjfwebb wrote: »
    Sorry about crashing this topic with my own question (but as it was completely relevant I didn't think it warranted a new topic).

I've read about the pre-requisites for MSCA being A+, Network+ and Security+...

I was curious that if these were compulsary certifications to even begin training to be a MSCA or if they were just recommended?

Hello too by the way! I hope to become a MSCA then MSCE and will be studying hard and seeking your counsel icon_study.gif

Literally speaking, those Comptia tests aren't required for the MCSA, but having the A+ and Net+ will make it much easier. IMO, going for the MCSA will be much harder if you don't receive both of those certs. After the A+, you'll know more about hardware/software, and after the Net+, you'll know the basics of networking. The knowledge from both makes studying for the MCSA easier. Also, combining both certs will count as an elective toward MCSA. So I strongly recommend trying this first.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    mjfwebbmjfwebb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Big Jizay wrote: »
    Literally speaking, those Comptia tests aren't required for the MCSA, but having the A+ and Net+ will make it much easier. IMO, going for the MCSA will be much harder if you don't receive both of those certs. After the A+, you'll know more about hardware/software, and after the Net+, you'll know the basics of networking. The knowledge from both makes studying for the MCSA easier. Also, combining both certs will count as an elective toward MCSA. So I strongly recommend trying this first.

Thanks Big Jizay.

I personally already have an extensive background in PC hardware/software ([upgrading/troubleshooting]/programming) and I was told by a friend that my knowledge would be sufficient with those topics to instead study a different elective.

Thanks again for the reply.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    If it were me i would just do the microsoft elective.

270/620 is a good combo to cover the core and elective portions.

Why do 2 tests at 300 and 250$ when you can do 1 at 125?

Besides I think 270/620 bring more relevant information to the table than certainly A+ and mostly for Net+.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Jordus wrote: »
    If it were me i would just do the microsoft elective.

270/620 is a good combo to cover the core and elective portions.

Why do 2 tests at 300 and 250$ when you can do 1 at 125?

Besides I think 270/620 bring more relevant information to the table than certainly A+ and mostly for Net+.
    I guess it depends on what your path is. I started out with A+ & then did 620 and then went back to Network+. It only makes sense for me to do the 290 & 291 & get my MCSA.

If I already had base knowledge and/or experience & didn't have a need to get the A+/Network+ though, you're right, I probably would have done the math & gone with the straight MS path.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion