Onlive - end of console's?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone read about the onlive service that will be released to allow you to play games over the internet on there servers in real time with little lag?

Death knell for game consoles? - , - Latest news & weather forecasts - MSN News UK

What does anyone think of this? im quite interested in the idea...depending on the price of course.

Its still early days but you never know this maybe the way gaming is heading.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I read an article on this the other day, My only concern with this service if it becomes successful would there be a need to ever build a custom pc for gaming when you could just stream the game from a powerful server.

I like the idea of not having to fork out on components to play the latest titles, the company behind this must have some pretty beefy hardware to cater for the amount of users connected a one time.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • beeeeeesbeeeeees Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think this looks great. Pretty impressed with Quake Live so should be interesting. Although you'll have a tough time taking my Xbox away from me...
    Did you put batteries in the UPS?...'Wait'...'I thought you did...'
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    No because latency would be even worse than now. You also need over 4mbps just to handle 1 person playing a HDish game.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    People still play games on consoles?
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They do if they don't want to wait months or longer for a PC port. Or if something they like is exclusive only to their console.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]