Career Advise

ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

I'm 19, currently working as a Computer\Hardware Engineer for a small sized company. There's not too much I can say about my position really, we use very basic technology in our systems (pre-built Dell Systems which we have to install RAID cards and a couple of HD's), Sysprep (all i do is duplicate the HD image), and then configure the systems to a unique identity for the customer's branch (easy once you've done it one or twice, very repetitive). Then we support the systems also, so when repairs come back I have to deal with them (commonly a replacement HD required). I've only been there 6 months though.

I'm looking to get into networking and have applied at a university on a Computer Networks course which is a 5 year long course (no response yet). I previously failed the Microsoft Windows XP exam (by 2 questions i think) and rebooked it several months later, which is due this April.

My question; is what next? Even if i do pass exam 70-270, I'll highly unlikely pass anymore. Reason? No experience. I learn best when working with something, learning from my mistakes. There's no room for me to progress into networking with my current company (as things currently stand) and there are absolutely no junior network admin\engineer jobs available in my area.

I just don't want to end up 3-4 years down the line, in the same company, doing the same thing, on a slightly higher salary.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Has anyone got any advise?

Thanks

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I learn better by doing also. If you have any spare hardware, why not just set up a couple of servers, get some study guides, and work on some of the MCSE core requirements?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would snag the MCDST if I were you and then the CCENT. Get your grouding while you feel out the industry and try and get a job to move yourself up a bit.
    -Daniel
  • NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ivlatt wrote: »
    I'm looking to get into networking and have applied at a university on a Computer Networks course which is a 5 year long course (no response yet). I previously failed the Microsoft Windows XP exam (by 2 questions i think) and rebooked it several months later, which is due this April.

Wow! 5 years?! Have you thought about using the money to certification bootcamps? It is shorter (a lot shorter). Start with MSCE and Network+.
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    NOCup wrote: »
    Wow! 5 years?! Have you thought about using the money to certification bootcamps? It is shorter (a lot shorter). Start with MSCE and Network+.

Is it an accelerated Bachelors + Masters degree maybe?
    I used to run the internet.