Options

Trying to decide on WGU

2»

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fly351 wrote: »
    After reading through the WGU Student Handbook, I found out I was wrong. Books are not included in the price of tuition, but they give resources for each course, and you can receive book "loans" from WGU's library.

Can anyone attending WGU shed some more light on this? Are the resources they provide (pdf's, websites, etc) efficient study material or do you often find yourself buying additional books?
    Actual books are provided for some courses. Others we can eiyher buy the books or just use our access to Books 24x7 where all of our texts, plus many supplemental texts you may wish to use, are located online. Books 24x7 is included as a WGU student. I have not had a textbook, except those provided to me, which was not on 24x7.
    If my books were not provided for as part of financial aid I would not have purchased a single book. Some people choose to buy additional books.
    We are also provided with additional training via Atomic learning tutorials, online expert videos, and skillsoft.

EDIT: Software necessary for our classes (Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 ) is provided as part of tuition via MSDNAA
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After reading through the WGU Student Handbook, I found out I was wrong. Books are not included in the price of tuition, but they give resources for each course, and you can receive book "loans" from WGU's library.

Can anyone attending WGU shed some more light on this? Are the resources they provide (pdf's, websites, etc) efficient study material or do you often find yourself buying additional books?

I have received books for each classes based on CIW and CompTIA exams. I've purchased hard copies of the books for other classes, but they're supposedly available online as part of the Books 24x7 subscription you get with your tuition.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bwcarty wrote: »
    but they're supposedly available online as part of the Books 24x7 subscription you get with your tuition.

They are but I prefer good old paper...
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Are the books expensive for the GenEd classes?

When I was doing my AAS I got extremely pissed at paying prices like 120$ for a science book that looked like a high schooler wrote it.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□

Same here, although I will skimp and find international edition textbooks for some classes. They're generally printed in black and white on super thin paper, but the content is there. A book that sells for $100 here for the US edition is about $10-15 in India for the international version. You can find those for about $30-$35 here.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »

EDIT: Software necessary for our classes (Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 ) is provided as part of tuition via MSDNAA

Demo or full versions (even academic)??

If they're full licenses, that's a sweet deal and worth a chunk of the enrollment fee.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Same, but not for the general ed classes or the basic IT classes. Microsoft/Cisco I have no problem paying top dollar.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    I used to also. I still get my books as part of finacial aid but the only time they're open is to lab or if I need to look something up (24x7 versions don't have page nos.) via the index. I've gotten so used to reading off the screen I prefer it now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    petedude wrote: »

If they're full licenses, that's a sweet deal and worth a chunk of the enrollment fee.

Full licenses.

I got Vista and Server 2003 for free through MSDNAA back in 2007.
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »

full license, but you need to read the fine print when d/ling them. They're more restrictive about moving from one computer to another (if you activate it on first computer)
  • Options

I still like having books to study over lunch or early in the morning. Much better for heavy reading than their e-counterparts.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    I feel you peterdude. I've just decided to invest in a tablet notebook to use as my ebook reader...I just figured, with all the reading I will be doing in the next 2 years, I just don't have the room...lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I am almost finished with the GenEd classes. I've not needed any of the books that they "suggest". I used what was already available (MindEdge/CourseCompass, etc) and have not needed the textbooks. For the Cert Exams, I've used what always works for me: CBT/eBooks/labs.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Are the books expensive for the GenEd classes?

When I was doing my AAS I got extremely pissed at paying prices like 120$ for a science book that looked like a high schooler wrote it.

Wait till you see the Masters program. There are 18 classes in the MSISA, 30 books in total, 2 of the classes have 5 books each (CEH and CHFI). One book for the wireless class is $495. Total cost of all books on amazon is around $2300. Actually they have 1 book that spans 3 classes as well so I didn't include it 3 times. Hopefully I don't need to buy all of them. But I will if I have too.

I made a list on amazon here Amazon.com: AZJAG: Masters Program

Like other people have stated in this forum, I also prefer to have a hard copy of the books as well. That and some of the books they wanted didn't rate very well here on TE. I went with the recommended book here and things have worked out well.

Has anybody every heard of Chegg.com?? My CIO pointed me towards them for renting textbooks.

Azjag
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    For the Cert Exams, I've used what always works for me: CBT/eBooks/labs.

Do they offer online lab simulators?

BTW, I am going to apply either today or this weekend. If someone wants to refer me, shoot me a PM. I don't know how the referral exactly works though as far as info exchange ;)
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think it is perfect for the type of person that would be on Tech Exams - A school that is designed to educate AND certify. . .

I'll go one better. It's perfect for the types of learners who populate TechExams-- typically self-directed, independent learners. Folks who'd rather get stuff done than sit in classes.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Do they offer online lab simulators?

;)
    You have access to MS IT Academy which has simulators for MS courses. We also have access to VMWare workstation (free) which I use for all my labbing.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    You have access to MS IT Academy which has simulators for MS courses. We also have access to VMWare workstation (free) which I use for all my labbing.

Yup. I run VMWare Fusion on my Macs (just got a new 27" Quad i5 8GB iMac to go with my Early 2009 Dual Quad Mac Pro with 16GB) for my labs. I now use the Mac Pro for my lab/testbed.

I am a huge fan of virtual machines for lab work. Saves time, energy, and headache to me :) It's also way faster loading an OS from an ISO than from CD/DVD.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    LeuryLeury Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I been wondering about this University for quite some time now. I always wondered how do you get your diploma? They just mail it to you or do you have to go to a graduation and get it?
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    azjag wrote: »
    Wait till you see the Masters program. There are 18 classes in the MSISA, 30 books in total, 2 of the classes have 5 books each (CEH and CHFI). One book for the wireless class is $495. Total cost of all books on amazon is around $2300. Actually they have 1 book that spans 3 classes as well so I didn't include it 3 times. Hopefully I don't need to buy all of them. But I will if I have too.

I made a list on amazon here Amazon.com: AZJAG: Masters Program

Like other people have stated in this forum, I also prefer to have a hard copy of the books as well. That and some of the books they wanted didn't rate very well here on TE. I went with the recommended book here and things have worked out well.

Has anybody every heard of Chegg.com?? My CIO pointed me towards them for renting textbooks.

Azjag

Books can be pricey. Another thing I've done is buy used one's off amazon. I've bought the 2008 server books for $15-$20 a piece, and they look brand new. Other books I've gotten have been equally cheap and good.
  • Options
    Leury wrote: »
    I been wondering about this University for quite some time now. I always wondered how do you get your diploma? They just mail it to you or do you have to go to a graduation and get it?

Good question, I was curious as well.
  • Options
    Leury wrote: »
    They have graduation ceremonies in Salt Lake City, Utah. If you choose not to go they'll mail you your diploma.
    Here's a link to video from last graduation ceremony Watch Video from the Winter Commencement
  • Options
    They have graduation ceremonies in Salt Lake City, Utah. If you choose not to go they'll mail you your diploma.
    Here's a link to video from last graduation ceremony Watch Video from the Winter Commencement

7-char
  • Options
    ashar2ashar2 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just graduated with a BS from WGU and I plan on applying to a regular college for my masters. I was wondering if traditional colleges have a certain rule for students who get their degree online. I finished my BS in 2 years so will that make a difference.

Thanks.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am attending a B&M (NJIT) and I'm a WGU graduate (see the left of this post.)

See here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/73386-erpadmins-grad-school-journey.html

I went the graduate certificate route because I am hoping that I can get a GMAT waiver, but I plan on formally becoming a MBA student with them because they offer an MIS concentration (which was very important to me...I'm not interested in becoming an investment banker or anything like that.) NJIT is a very popular school with a AACSB-accreditation (the gold standard) and is very well known in the NYC-metro area. To summarize my thread, I completed my first semester with As in both classes.

That's with a degree from WGU. :)

I'm currently working on taking the CLEP exam for Accounting so that I can avoid an unnecessary bridge course.
  • Options
    EZ21EZ21 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ashar2 wrote: »
    I just graduated with a BS from WGU and I plan on applying to a regular college for my masters. I was wondering if traditional colleges have a certain rule for students who get their degree online. I finished my BS in 2 years so will that make a difference.

Thanks.
    Just call the school's admins office and ask if they accept student from WGU. Simple