Options

Share your experience with: CompTIA Network+ 2009 exam

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
Please feel free to share your experience about the CompTIA Network+ 2009 exam.

Hard/easy?
Your current experience?
More material to cover?
Study material used?
Approx how long did you prepare?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took a class in it that lasted 4 months, used comptia press book, and cbt videos also A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell and this site.

I found the exam pretty difficult, I had no experience in IT doing the exam and I still have no experience even though I now have a CCNA.

There was a lot of material to cover, and very strange questions!
  • Options
    dsjellesmadsjellesma Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had no professional IT experience. I went through the entire TestOutCBT, then reviewed the information on this site, and found as many practice tests as possible. It took me around 10 days from my first TestOut Video till the day I passed my exam (score of 750 or so).

Test was not easy, but if you apply yourself and really work at it, it is certainly possible.
  • Options
    raystargazerraystargazer Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have comments on specific study materials? Which are the best? Thanks.
  • Options
    phfatyphfaty Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am now attemping to re-take the Network+ after failing miserably twice in a row. Study materials used were Testout CBT, CBT Nuggets, notes and practice exams off of the internet, googling, wikipedia, fake tech support calls to a call center (in India), and online forums like this one. All in all, I have to say that there were alot of questions that weren't covered in any of my study materials. And, even though I consistently scored 90% and higher on my practice exams, I still failed.

On the test, I saw about 3 to 5 subnetting questions which I found to be very difficult and confusing. Alot of the questions had to do with troubleshooting networks and how to correctly troubleshoot using the troubleshooting steps. There were several questions on Netware and Apple talk. At least 5 to 8 very difficult questions on the OSI model. None of the OSI questions were straightforward type questions. To make a long story short, if you thought the A+ exam questions were vague and often times tricky, multiply that by 100 for the Network+ exam.

I am 67 years old and have decided to switch careers from Walmart greeter to IT. I have at least 1.5 years of experience working with PCs. Good luck to everyone taking Network+ exams!
    A+ IT:03/09
    Network+:WIP
  • Options
    epedrosaepedrosa Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phfaty wrote: »
    I am now attemping to re-take the Network+ after failing miserably twice in a row. Study materials used were Testout CBT, CBT Nuggets, notes and practice exams off of the internet, googling, wikipedia, fake tech support calls to a call center (in India), and online forums like this one. All in all, I have to say that there were alot of questions that weren't covered in any of my study materials. And, even though I consistently scored 90% and higher on my practice exams, I still failed.

On the test, I saw about 3 to 5 subnetting questions which I found to be very difficult and confusing. Alot of the questions had to do with troubleshooting networks and how to correctly troubleshoot using the troubleshooting steps. There were several questions on Netware and Apple talk. At least 5 to 8 very difficult questions on the OSI model. None of the OSI questions were straightforward type questions. To make a long story short, if you thought the A+ exam questions were vague and often times tricky, multiply that by 100 for the Network+ exam.

I am 67 years old and have decided to switch careers from Walmart greeter to IT. I have at least 1.5 years of experience working with PCs. Good luck to everyone taking Network+ exams!

Amazing, congrats and good luck sir.
    I'm attempting a self study with little experience in Networking, been in the support field for 6 yrs +, any advice, resources, How is the test broken up?
  • Options
    jameisterjameister Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    epedrosa wrote: »
    Amazing, congrats and good luck sir.
    I'm attempting a self study with little experience in Networking, been in the support field for 6 yrs +, any advice, resources, How is the test broken up?

I've been doing IT Support for 4 years now, 3 of those were site based and now in the field. I have just completed and passed the Network + and from what I can see you certainly don't need any experience.

For me I found Professor messer videos worked and going through the Mike Meyers N+, but the videos I understood more. Also practice tests are a must even though when it comes to the exam the questions that CompTIA actually test you on are or can be some what different and confusing at times but generally those are few and far between.

I'm not saying the exam is easy but it should be achievable for anyone with little or no experience and just good study.
  • Options
    Benson92Benson92 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken the classes and have passed all of them. I have taken the exam more than twice and have failed. I have used all the study material my school has provided for me. and have used the propofs to study with. If anyone can give some advice or tell what I am doing wrong.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Hi Benson92. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with this exam.

There are many variables so it's difficult to tell what you need to change to master this material, but it's clear you need to change something. If you passed the classes, you might have the knowledge but just don't have a good understanding of how that knowledge is tested on the exams. You might need to get some good practice test questions (with explanations) to help you. I've been receiving a lot of great feedback on this Kindle ebook CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Practice Test Questions (Get Certified Get Ahead) (CompTIA Network+ N10-005 Practice Test Questions (Get Certified Get Ahead): Darril Gibson: Amazon.com: Kindle Store)

Here are a couple of pages with free sample questions from the book that you can use to test your knowledge: Beyond that, what book are you using to study with? Do you know what your weak areas are?
  • Options
    Benson92Benson92 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Darril, thanks for getting back to me.

I've been using the CompTIA network+ 4th edition by Glen E. Clarke and the learning disk that came with the book. The disk comes with videos and three practice exams.

I've also been using the official certification exam objectives as a guideline going through the material in the study guide. When I take the practice questions from the disk the ones I get wrong I look at all the explanations to see what why I got it wrong and what I need to go through again in the book. I'm assuming my weak areas are the scenario questions, like for example questions that ask about troubleshooting OSI Model. I think those are the ones that trip me up the most.

(Thank you for the study guide recommendation.)