Options

Network+ 2009

ShinixShinix Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, just starting out on my network career hoping eventually to reach CCNP level.

Anyway i've seen that the new Network+ exam is out and i'm wondering if you guys think it's worth going for the N10-004 rather than the N10-003.

Also do you believe these two books would be enough material to get me through it, as there is not much reviews for them.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Exam Cram (3rd Edition): Mike Harwood: Books

I've read that todd lammle books are very good:
Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Todd Lammle: Your Store

Also these are another books that i've saw are avalible.

Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ 2009 In Depth: Tamara Dean: Books

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are ready, take the N10-003.

If you need a little more time and/or you want to go for security clearance, then aim at N10-004.

The recommended books are Meyers and Sybex. They have been around and proven great tools for both Net+ and in their A+ series.

The PDF TechNotes on this site is very well commented on by our members, so pick what suits you. As for books, the ones you listed, I would not recommend as your primary resource.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I used the Tamara Dean "Network+ 2005 In Depth" book for my Network+ studies (along with another one), and I liked it a lot. Very detailed and very nicely laid out. I preferred her writing style over that of Mike Meyers - he has a lot of fans and I'm sure he's great & all, but it's just not my bag. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that hasn't used a Meyers book for A+ or Network+!

I say get thee to a bookstore. Flip through the books in person. What someone else considers a great book might not be for you. You can use others' reviews & opinions as a general guide, but pick whatever book(s) you like. And then go order online to save some cash.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree, everyone has a personal style, and everyone has a different level of skills. You'll have to define your style, what works for you, and go from there. Not sure what the differences are between the versions of test, but thought it was a good recommendation to decide based on your current level of preparedness.

The tech notes on here, will really help you determine your level of preparedness. I thought I was ready for Net +, then I looked at the tech notes on this site! I wasn't nearly ready because my study materials were incomplete.

So, I used the tech notes as a "starting point" to study my areas of weakness. I passed first time. Trust the resources on this site, to measure your skill set.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ShinixShinix Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply guys, decided to go for the N10-003 since there seems to be alot more reviews/information around on it.

I will defiantly check the books that you guys suggested and the tech notes pdf looks like it will come in handy.
  • Options
    raystargazerraystargazer Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am almost ready for the N10-003 test and just happened to see N10-004! So now I'm poking around to get more info. Thank you for the short comment on the difference. Is there any more detailed comparison of the two tests? Also, is the 003 being retired or is the newer 004 test just an ehanced or specialized exam? I found the PDF technotes, but it looks like it's only for the 003 test material. If there's another one around I'd like to check that out too.

Thank you for your comments.

ray