Options

Time to move on?

Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to move on from my current position as I feel that my skills are wasting away plus I'm bored out of my mind. I've been here for just over 16 months. I’ve asked to put on projects and be more involved but it’s always the same old spiel and nothing every comes of it

Will this look like I am a potential job hopper? Also what do I say when asked why I'm leaving my current position?
WIP: 70-647 (5%)

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It is of my opinion, based on the feel of your post that you might be better off finding a new job sooner, rather than later.

I understand your concerns about looking like a "job hopper", but I think that if you can get an interview somewhere, and that question is brought up, you may be able to explain that you want a job that utilizes your skills more and gives you the opportunity to have more responsibilities.

You also don't really want your unused skills to diminish to the point where they won't help you get a job. If anything, throw a few resumes around to get an idea of what the job market is like right now.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    As for looking like a job hopper, that depends on how many jobs you've left in a short amount of time. Typically that would be less than 1 year on the job.

As for why you're leaving tell them the truth, just jazz it up so it looks professional and not like your whining about your current job. Something like I'm looking for new opportunites with more challenging responsiblities that eeventually lead into leadership roles within projects. Or however you like to phrase it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've given "bored out of my mind" as a reason for leaving a previous company. They'll ask to elaborate, and good dialogue ensues. Looking for more responsibility and better mentoring from management is a perfectly valid reason to seek new employment.

Unless you had a string of 6-month gigs, I wouldn't worry about the job-hopping thing.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look elsewhere but dont make it known to your current employer. ive been in the exact same position a few times - which have always led to another job. just make sure it is the next step up you need and not a sidestep unless you have no option. if you sit and get into a bad rut / mood because your bored it can cause serious problems for your attitude towards your work and ambitions. It was nearly like that for me but i managed to pull myself out thankfully.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    nel wrote: »
    if you sit and get into a bad rut / mood because your bored it can cause serious problems for your attitude towards your work and ambitions. It was nearly like that for me but i managed to pull myself out thankfully.

Quoted for truth. I am in that situation now. I make ALOT of money for what easy, little work I do. I dont really want to leave because of the money and I know to get the Networking job or other job I want I am going to have to take a pay cut. Also I am in a good position because they pay for me to go to school right now and I also work an easy set schedule and have time for school, cert study and life. Why should I leave all that? Because Im bored out of my mind and it is causing concentration problems at work. I just sit there and stare at my computer briefly and feel liking Im about to drool because Im so freaking bored. I am trying to talk my self into ignoring my boredom for the reasons listed above but its hard. It eats at you. Im not trying to sound like an ingrate because I appreciate how good I have it but I just want to be hands on and challenged.

My advice would be if you can leave and dont have a bunch of good things holding you there, then apply apply apply and get out while you can. And my usual disclaimer, never leave until you have secured something else.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Also I am in a good position because they pay for me to go to school right now and I also work an easy set schedule and have time for school, cert study and life. Why should I leave all that? Because Im bored out of my mind and it is causing concentration problems at work. I just sit there and stare at my computer briefly and feel liking Im about to drool because Im so freaking bored. I am trying to talk my self into ignoring my boredom for the reasons listed above but its hard. It eats at you. Im not trying to sound like an ingrate because I appreciate how good I have it but I just want to be hands on and challenged.

Use that time of boredom to study and get some certs. Today is March 30th, 2009 ;)
  • Options
    Tin_ManTin_Man Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've decided to break out the old resume and get it up to date & see what is out there.

nel; I am currently going through what you were talking about. I have started to become resentful at work because the lack of things to do & the feeling of being under used at work.

JoJocal19; Sounds like you & I have a very similar job. The $$$ is good, but I find myself spending the majority of time trying to look busy, but I usually end up surfing online to pass the time or studying. Or taking a 2hr lunch break.

I am appreciate of the position I have and some days it’s nice to have an easy/relaxing day, but I would much rather been nonstop busy 9 times out of 10 then sitting around waiting for things to break.
    WIP: 70-647 (5%)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I definiately don't think you'll be seen as a job-hopper after almost a year and a half, especially if your reason for wanting something new is because you'd rather do something more challenging and engaging. It's probably time to move on, but don't let that time in between go to waste. It's a terrible economy out there and it might take you a while to find something, so I'm going to go with carboncopy on this and say use your time wisely. I know what it's like to have a dull job, but you have to kick your own butt and get in gear to learn something new and dust off those rusty skills if you want to find a better job.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i don't know what that u do, but if you're bored, u would have some explaining to do. 16 month is long enough IMO I can understand if u wanna take on a higher position, better $$$, or something more challengin. don't burn the bridge though. It's better to leave in a good term.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Quoted for truth. I am in that situation now. I make ALOT of money for what easy, little work I do. I dont really want to leave because of the money and I know to get the Networking job or other job I want I am going to have to take a pay cut. Also I am in a good position because they pay for me to go to school right now and I also work an easy set schedule and have time for school, cert study and life. Why should I leave all that? Because Im bored out of my mind and it is causing concentration problems at work. I just sit there and stare at my computer briefly and feel liking Im about to drool because Im so freaking bored. I am trying to talk my self into ignoring my boredom for the reasons listed above but its hard. It eats at you. Im not trying to sound like an ingrate because I appreciate how good I have it but I just want to be hands on and challenged.

My advice would be if you can leave and dont have a bunch of good things holding you there, then apply apply apply and get out while you can. And my usual disclaimer, never leave until you have secured something else.

Sounds like my old job at the telco as a circuit tester. Had been there several years and could do the job in my head. But I was making 75k a year plus union benefits it was hard to leave.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    My advice would be to do what you enjoy. I've gotten a job making almost twice what I was before. I don't hate it, but I don't enjoy it, either. There's either so much free time that I find myself counting the random staples on the wall, or it's so crazy-busy when it rains that you wear Depends cuz there's no time to go to the bathroom.

You hafta make enough $$$ to live on, to be sure, but be sure to also do something you like some. Otherwise the money won't mean anything. How many rich people are out there who are miserable?