Options

VoIP phone directly to router

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I have an analog phone connected to my FXS port on the router. I was going to connect my VoIP phone to my switch, which connected to my ethernet port on the router, but then thought about connecting the IP phone directly to the ethernet port. If I do this, what commands need to be input on the router to make it work? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you have CME installed and does the phone work when you plug it into the switch?

If so, it might work with a crossover cable going to your router. But I can't think of any reason why you'd want to do that.

You'd also need the power brick for the phone as the router is not likely to have a PoE port.

Do yourself a favor and use your switch before you break something.

:)
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Do you have CME installed and does the phone work when you plug it into the switch?

If so, it might work with a crossover cable going to your router. But I can't think of any reason why you'd want to do that.

You'd also need the power brick for the phone as the router is not likely to have a PoE port.

Do yourself a favor and use your switch before you break something.

:)

Um - I am using my switch. I only have one VoIP phone in it right now, but I hope to have more later, which is why I have the switch.

I'm not using CME. I'm doing the vmware-thing with callmanager on my laptop. I have power bricks for my IP phones, too.