Options

Passed 70-291, Very Happy :)

jb82jb82 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Woohoo. I passed the 70-291. Got a score of 826, which I'm pretty chuffed with since I didn't study all the material. For anyone about to sit for this, my exam was roughly made up of the following:

[Moderator Note: Please be careful about giving away too much information on the exam. I should have caught this earlier. I know what you posted was maybe "borderline" on violating the NDA, but I'd rather err toward caution. Great job on passing though, congratulations! - sprkymrk]

My advice would be to really brush up on DNS. I studied this alot and only came out with about 80 % correct. Make sure you know about DNS logs and debugging especially.

I aced the IP addressing thanks to the CCNA course I doing. I probably let myself down by not studying WSUS v3.0 and RRAS as much as I should have. Anyway, hope this helps somebody.....

Comments

• Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Hey Congrats!! :D

So what's next for you?
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • Options
    Probably knock over one of the client Os exams to complete the MCSA then move onto MCSE. I hear I can do the Vista OS Exam to complete MCSA? Is this true?
  • Options
    docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done, its good to get one over the 'Beast'.
    Yes i'm planning to do the 620 as already done the 720, the
    620 is suppost to be 'easyer'. The 270 is far from easy !
    D.S.
  • Options
    I think I will do the 720. I don't have much to do with Vista at work.
  • Options
    docspawndocspawn Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since you've done the 290 it shouldnt be to bad BUT its not
    a walk in park. It is a good exam though and give a good understanding on what a good OS XP is.
    Good luck,
    D.S.
    If i remeber rightly i found the XP exam Cram book rather good
    to read over. If from the UK do a google, its aval for under £9 !
  • Options
    FishOnAHFishOnAH Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    Should I or is does it matter if I take the 70-290 and 70-291 and then the 70-620 or 70-270 or should I take the client exams and then the core exams?

are there any knowledge requirements for taking the core exams that are given on the client exams?

Im asking cuz I see jb does not have any client exam yet he has two core exams already...

By the way congratulations !!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
    maumercado wrote: »
    Should I or is does it matter if I take the 70-290 and 70-291 and then the 70-620 or 70-270 or should I take the client exams and then the core exams?

are there any knowledge requirements for taking the core exams that are given on the client exams?

Im asking cuz I see jb does not have any client exam yet he has two core exams already...

By the way congratulations !!
    There are no prerequisites for the Microsoft exams, you can take the exams in any order.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congratulations!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    I found there has been a lot of overlap of material in the 3 core exams I have done, so I wouldn't really worry about the order of things too much. It did make sense to me though to do the 70-290 first and get up to speed with the general AD administrative tasks etc... BTW, don't think the client exams are going to be any easier than the others, I'm studying for the 270 now and there certainly are no questions about how to play solitaire or pinball lol
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    jb82 wrote: »
    BTW, don't think the client exams are going to be any easier than the others, I'm studying for the 270 now and there certainly are no questions about how to play solitaire or pinball lol

I thought that was odd given the percentage of use those apps get on a daily basis. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    So.... once I have done 270 I get the MCSA. From there, what is required for MCSE? The way I see it I have to do 293 and 294 and one design requirement, either the 297 or 298. So that is 3 more exams right ? or WRONG ?
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    So.... once I have done 270 I get the MCSA. From there, what is required for MCSE? The way I see it I have to do 293 and 294 and one design requirement, either the 297 or 298. So that is 3 more exams right ? or WRONG ?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

You have 290 and 291. If you get 270 you still have to get one more; I don't believe you can uses 282 as an elective.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    Yeah, you can use the 282 as an elective. Unless they have changed the rules in the last couple of months....
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Yeah, you can use the 282 as an elective. Unless they have changed the rules in the last couple of months....

I don't see it listed as an elective for the MCSA. I looked up the exam and under "Credit toward Certification" it states that it can be used as an elective toward the MCSE, but nothing about MCSA.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-282.mspx#EYB
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! :)
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • Options
    Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well done buddy, to be honest id suggest you forget OS exams and forget getting MCSA. You are half way to knowing enough to pass 70-293, which is hard, I woulld definalty look at doing this whilst things are fresh, how you fancy learning DNS and RRAS etc all over again if you leave it too long. Good amount of cross over and plus if your serious about MCSE, this is core. So get in under belt.

Good score anyway. Exactly the same as me for this one.
    Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!
  • Options
    cheesecouponscheesecoupons Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My friend took this a few weeks ago and went on and on about how many simulations were on it (and he has the CISSP - the beast of them all from what I understand). Did you also find this to be the case? I don't know if he was just trying to psych me out. I have been stalling so much on this exam because of all the horror stories!!
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Congratulations!!
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.