Options

laserjet problem

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys customer is having a problem with a laserjet, the printer was tested and worked fine model is a laserjet 2100.

The printer was working fine earlier today, but now when the user goes to print anything the printer doesn't print and only prints test pages.

User has restarted computer, disconnected printer cables and has cleared the print queue

Any ideas?

Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is this over the network or directly attached?
  • Options
    Directly attached I just went offsite to have a look

Reinstalled the drivers, cleared out the print job queue, setup a new parallel cable, looked for paper jams, restarted the print service

The printer detects but when you go to print nothing happens.

I'm stumped

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,042 Admin
    Try attaching the printer to a different computer and see if the same problem occurs.
  • Options
    Yeah that is my next troubleshooting step, I have bought the printer back to base and will setup today and test I also have to dig around our warehouse and locate some suitable laserjet replacements.

• Options
    I have setup the printer on another machine and it works fine. The user in question has 2 other USB printers hooked up to the computer could there be a conflict occuring? which is stopping the Laserjet from printing.

Or the Parallel port cold be faulty in which case I go with a USB laserjet.

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Multiple USB printers connection can be an issue and it will cause conflicts. Unplug the other USB and see if the Windows pick up.

I have a similar problem before with LPT1 (not support legency), the over 10 USB ports connect. Also it is depending on your MB how well they can handle mulitple USB. Some cheap MB will not work over 8 ports. It will automatic drop out other.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    We have a similar situation here where each user needs several printers...so we have HP JetDirect boxes so the printers can have an IP and a port, and use the serial connections.

Maybe its time for you to think about using a print server like that.