Options

Why Am I Not Getting Job Offers

aasimenatoraasimenator Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have posted my C.V. Online on many job sites both local & international, But I still am not receiving any job offers. Can you guys go through my C.V. & let me know what changes i can do to it so i would start getting job offers.

I am attaching image of my C.V.

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Im not an expert on resumes/CV's but I can tell you that it would be better to black out your personal information in the header on your CV since you are posting it online in a public forum.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm no expert either but for what it's worth:

You've listed lots of relatively high end certifications but have no work related experience to back them up - a cause of suspicion for many employers. I'd consider removing the higher ones and focus on getting some sort of 1st line support role to begin to build up your skills and experience (and marketability) in the process.

I also wouldn't bother listing every protocol, component or product you can simply cut and paste from a technical document or google. You need to focus more on you, your experiences and how these can make you valuable to a potential employer.

Have a look through this forum and the feedback other members have left for others CVs and resumes as most would apply here too.
    JoJoCal19 wrote:
    it would be better to black out your personal information in the header on your CV since you are posting it online in a public forum.

+1 to this as well
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Two things for me... your date of birth isn't needed on a resume. Secondly, get a new email address. It should seem more professional, first initial last name kind of deal. I've seen people passed over because assumptions were made about personality and maturity lvl's based off of an email address.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    You live in India and things might be different there but to start with I would remove all the demographic information off the last page. Take the logos off. Move the certifications to the first page above the technical skills.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    OK
    So i should remove the graphics, Top level Certs, DOB & change email address.
    Move certs to 1st page.
    What else?
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Yes I agree with removing the personal information. You want to remove personal info that you can get away with. You don't want to be judged or discriminated because of age, ***, race and etc. I also agree with moving your certs up to the top of the first page. You don't have any work-related experience so you have to sell your certs. I also agree with a little more personable and not so cut and dry. Ellaborate on any projects you have done with getting your certs or on the side. This gives a potential interviewer things to ask you about since they can't ask about work exp. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't get interviews of the types of jobs you really really want right away. You just need something right now, to get your foot in the door. Once you have gotten your foot in the door you will only move up at your next job. Also, if you can take an internship, that is a great way to get hands on work exp. Good luck !
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK
    So i should remove the graphics, Top level Certs, DOB & change email address.
    Move certs to 1st page.
    What else?

Don't forget to add "Knowledgeable in Active Directory, DNS, Cluster solutions...etc"

Other wise it's going to look like the table of contents from the books you read without the experience.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The details of your fathers name, ***, marital status and birthday are all out of place. It's almost like an eHarmony ad! :)

I'd make sure you can customize it to fit the position that you are applying for, too.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Your English grammar can also use a little work. I assume English isn't your first language so mistakes like this are expected.

Your objective:
    "To work in the most challenging position with an organization that provides ample opportunities to learn and contribute.

To seek for a position where my skills can be utilized while gaining me a new experiences and knowledge."

Can be rephrased to:

"To work in a challenging position within an organization that provides opportunities to learn and contribute.

To seek a position where my skills can be utilized while also allowing furthering my knowledge and expertise."
    "

I don't know why you have 2 objectives (that are too similar). You should have one or zero. Personally, I believe objective statements are useless because they either limit you by telling your potential employer you're only interested in X or they're just total bs that any recruiter just ignores it.

You're resume should only be one page. Unless you have years of experience you can find a way to get everything on one page via formatting. You're use of tables in your resume (thanks to cell padding) is making it longer than it should be.

Remove the Misc. category under skills. "Troubleshooting Skills" are assumed with everything else you listed.

That's all I have to time to look through right now ;)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Stotic wrote: »
    I don't know why you have 2 objectives (that are too similar). You should have one or zero. Personally, I believe objective statements are useless because they either limit you by telling your potential employer you're only interested in X or they're just total bs that any recruiter just ignores it.

You're resume should only be one page. Unless you have years of experience you can find a way to get everything on one page via formatting. You're use of tables in your resume (thanks to cell padding) is making it longer than it should be.
    I agree with removing the objective - EVERYONE has the same objective...to get a job! If you want to, use a summary section that outlines the "cool things about you" that you want to highlight. Otherwise, leave it off & put some sort of summary about yourself & how cool you are on your cover letter.

I have to disagree with the one page limit - it's no longer taboo to go over one page - but if you're going to fill up that much space, there needs to be more substance there and also less duplication. Expound upon your work history - talk about your accomplishments and special projects instead of just putting a short summary of your duties. Remove the duplicate listing of education.

I'm not sure what the % indicates for your education section either...is that the percentile? Is that something standard that's on resumes in India? Unless it's something that's standard or required, I'd leave it off.

I think you can rework & reformat this resume into something with a lot more meat on it and into something that's a lot shorter - probably just over a page - and you'd get a lot better response to it. You have a good amount of certs & knowledge, and you just need to find a way to package & present it so the reader is intrigued and wants to meet you.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Stotic wrote: »
    You're English grammar can also use a little work. I assume English isn't your first language so mistakes like this are expected.

Not to totally throw off the thread, but am I the only one greatly amused by this line? :)

I'm not knocking the advice though mind you. Getting someone to edit your resume, especially if the written language is not your primary, will definitely go far. Typos and poorly constructed sentences are one of the best ways to get your resume recycled.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Not to totally throw off the thread, but am I the only one greatly amused by this line? :)

I'm not knocking the advice though mind you. Getting someone to edit your resume, especially if the written language is not your primary, will definitely go far. Typos and poorly constructed sentences are one of the best ways to get your resume recycled.

Myself enjoy greatly to.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

icon_lol.gif Wow, I totally missed that! But it actually brings up a good point - grammatical errors & common mistakes like your-you're & their-they're-there are some things that will communicate unwanted messages to the reader...that you're not a good communicator, you don't have an attention for detail, and that you don't care enough about your resume to put in enough effort to make it clean and mistake-free. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but to make the best first impression, make sure that your resume doesn't contain any gross grammar or spelling or punctuation errors.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    not to totally throw off the thread, but am i the only one greatly amused by this line? :)

+3 :)
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    In North America putting your personal information (gender, nationality, marital status) is not necessary and is it illegal in most provinces and states.

Companies may not hire you because they fear of future discrimination legal issues. (E.g. They hire the guy because he's single).
  • Options
    I have made a totally new Resume, please go through it & let me know what you think.
    I have changed my email address.
    Added more details on my job responsibilities.
    It my main resume so i've mentioned all my certifications but i will do changes to it as required by the job profile i am applying to.

One more thing i want to ask is can we mention promotions?
    like when i started working at AirCheck i was a Discovery Agent & after 6 months of work i was promoted to Verifier & was working for another 9 months or so.

I seriously don't like this simple look as a resume should be attractive & first impression are what can make or break an interview.
    So i still disagree with a simple resume format as its just plain & boring.
    & i also don't know about other countries but here DOB is necessary.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd get rid of the "computer programming skills" section and incorporate this into work experience.You don't mention promotions under the AirCheck have 2 sub-headings, the first Discovery Agent and the second as Verifier,include the dates and its self explanatory.
    You don't like the simple look resume but try looking through 20 or 100 resumes and maybe you will change your mind.The idea of a resume is to briefly describe your experience and that's it, if you have the skills required you get an interview.
    When i had little experience my resume was 1 page, now i need two pages as i've worked plenty of jobs.You have little experience and you hit 2 pages, really you should try and get it all on one.Listing your certs one per line takes up too much space.

I've just had a second look at your rusume as the first time i never read your work experience.If i received your resume on my desk i'd throw it straight in the bin.

U.S. spot verifer(i have no idea what this is)
    Title advertisements on US radio and TV for Brand,Company and Category (What are you talking about,what has this to do with IT?)
    Monitor Radio and TV for mismatch audio and video and report.( I do the same every night at home when i watch TV)
    Create titles for non existent Brands in Database with research.( You type a Brand name into a Database,i don't need this skill, is it a skill?)
    Correct wrong titles and inform agent of the mistake. ( Sometimes the cashier in the supermarket gives me the wrong change and i inform her of her mistake).

I just cant read anymore..........
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Gundamtdk wrote: »
    In North America putting your personal information (gender, nationality, marital status) is not necessary and is it illegal in most provinces and states.

Companies may not hire you because they fear of future discrimination legal issues. (E.g. They hire the guy because he's single).

what **? I'm living in hell! In the Philippines it's the opposite! Some company even requires a whole body picture, other companies have their preferences like
    "must have a pleasing personality" , "or must be a graduate of ff universities (school). ncool.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    EdTheLad wrote: »

U.S. spot verifer(i have no idea what this is)

It's the thing that finds Washington and other targets in the US. icon_lol.gif

j/k
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I seriously don't like this simple look as a resume should be attractive & first impression are what can make or break an interview.

Believe it or not, the simple and easy to read resumes get the most attention. The only time you should have some fancy resume was if you were applying for a graphic designer position or something. Even then I think employers still prefer the simple, easy, straight to the point formats.

It's said that HR (or whoever is skimming through resumes) only spend approximately 30 seconds reading your resume. If they have to spend more time trying to find the information that's important to them, they'll toss your resume like that.

Something you need to keep in mind is that your resume is going to be sitting in a stack and some of the most silliest things can get yours dropped in the trash. For example, let's say the company you're applying to has a requirement of a Bachelor's degree and no less. If they have to read through an entire page of job experience, certifications, technical skills, etc etc, and your education is no where to be found on the first page, it's probable they'll toss your resume.

And as others have already said, your certifications pose as a red flag. If I were reading your resume I'd think you were a brain dumper. MCSE? MCSA? No work experience? Why not try "dumbing" yourself down a bit, take off some of those heavy hitters and see if you get any bites. Couldn't hurt could it? If you still get the same results then feel free to put them back on.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248

Yea....about that icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Gundamtdk wrote: »

Just so all know...your first statement is quite the opposite in the U.S.. It's illegal for potential employers to require you to answer personal questions, but never illegal for you to offer it. Though it is frowned upon, it's not illegal.
  • Options

Simple doesn't have to be plain, boring and unattractive. (see attached)

Edit: You're listing MS Word as one of your skills, but it's not reflected in the presentation of your resume.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    aquageek wrote: »
    Simple doesn't have to be plain, boring and unattractive. (see attached)

Edit: You're listing MS Word as one of your skills, but it's not reflected in the presentation of your resume.

Email address still shows last name icon_rolleyes.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    Andretii wrote: »
    Email address still shows last name icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah I know, but I'm not concerned enough about it to change it.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Hi,

I have posted my C.V. Online on many job sites both local & international, But I still am not receiving any job offers. Can you guys go through my C.V. & let me know what changes i can do to it so i would start getting job offers.

I am attaching image of my C.V.

Now hold on Aasimenator.. You are talking about getting a job in India, the most competitive IT market in the world, where it is almost like everyone is certified. That entails a completely different approach than here in the USA. I would pursue advice from successful job seekers in your regional market.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day