Options

Started HelpDesk Job..

KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
well I started my first IT job yesturday.

I'm Helpdesk/PC Tech. It's 2 days/week, 13.00/hr.. technically im contracted through a recruiting company, so thats probably why its only 13/hr.

in a week or two.. im going to try and persuade my way into getting a 3rd day/week. Not sure if I can really ask for a 1.00 raise lol.. that would be sweet.. but hey I love my job so far.

Finally learned CITRIX Ticketing System.. Finally got to use GHOST..

other than that.. simple problems like someone deleted their outlook emails.. had to recover them.. and recycling old computers for its parts like CDROMS, HDD, Memory and VideoCards..

Waiting for a real challenge..

until then... I use my time wisely and study for my MCSE (70-294, 70-298, 70-299)

The job a 6-12month contract. Can't wait to do more, learn more.. tackles some tough challenges.. I love challenges..

Okay.. just thought I would share my lil bit of excitement. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Awesome! Keep at it, building work experience will open more doors with more challenges and better pay!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That's awesome, I'm glad you're having a good first day of your job! Don't rush on the money, the experience is the important thing right now.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I really liked learning and using Ghost as it is an awesome tool!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Congrats man icon_thumright.gif

No matter how small things look at the begging they build up to help you at the end. In a couple of months of continuing learning/practicing and working hard you will apply somewhere else and get better pay/benefits/tittle.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    starting on monday me and my co-worker/supervisor will be creating a new profile to be used for imaging.. so I can't wait to get to work on monday.

I love having my own office/work area.. my own phone line, my own login, my own email.. this is where i belong.

ive done so many oddjobs in the past.. sales person for dicks sporting goods, door2door rep for verizon fios, mcdonalds, warehouse machine operator, and so much more. finally something thats easy, fun, and challenging all at the same time.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like paying you to play....I know what you mean....icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    like paying you to play....I know what you mean....icon_lol.gif

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    and with your big certs you hold..you will be getting paid big arse bucks
    man really keep going to MCSE and then CCNA to CCNP for sure.
    you can do it!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    thanks.. MCSE should be done before September (crosses fingers)..

and my co-worker is mostly all about cisco networking.. so when I'm not working.. im going to ask him questions.. none stop.. try and assist him anytime he needs me or doesnt... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can i have your job? :) and how do u find a job through recruiting company (agency?). Is it easier with them? no luck so far finding a JOB on my own.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • Options
    i posted my resume on monster.com and a tech recruiter gave me a call, and set me up.

i've also been called into robert half technology (rht) and InsightGlobal, and other recruiters..

im on Dice.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com, usajobs.gov, metrobaltimore.com, baltimorejobs.com, craigslist.org

just gotta get your name/resume out there.. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    well I started my first IT job yesturday.

I'm Helpdesk/PC Tech. It's 2 days/week, 13.00/hr.. technically im contracted through a recruiting company, so thats probably why its only 13/hr.

in a week or two.. im going to try and persuade my way into getting a 3rd day/week. Not sure if I can really ask for a 1.00 raise lol.. that would be sweet.. but hey I love my job so far.

Finally learned CITRIX Ticketing System.. Finally got to use GHOST..

other than that.. simple problems like someone deleted their outlook emails.. had to recover them.. and recycling old computers for its parts like CDROMS, HDD, Memory and VideoCards..

Waiting for a real challenge..

until then... I use my time wisely and study for my MCSE (70-294, 70-298, 70-299)

The job a 6-12month contract. Can't wait to do more, learn more.. tackles some tough challenges.. I love challenges..

Okay.. just thought I would share my lil bit of excitement. icon_cheers.gif

Great attitude my man. It pays off.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    i posted my resume on monster.com and a tech recruiter gave me a call, and set me up.

i've also been called into robert half technology (rht) and InsightGlobal, and other recruiters..

im on Dice.com, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com, usajobs.gov, metrobaltimore.com, baltimorejobs.com, craigslist.org

just gotta get your name/resume out there.. icon_cool.gif
    +1 - the best way to get calls is to get that resume out there in as many places as possible and apply to EVERYTHING!

That being said, be prepared for random phone calls from random people asking you to travel far for piddly pay. I got a LOT of calls from out of town recruiters/staffing companies who didn't understand that something that was 30-40 miles away in the Chicago area was up to a 1.5 hour commute and they were wondering why I was turning down such lucrative positions paying $10-12/hr. Sigh.

And I'm still getting those calls even now that I've taken my resume off these sites - the staffing companies periodically download info from the job/resume sites and stick your info in their database, and then you'll get calls weeks later. So even though I took down my resume a couple weeks ago, I'm still getting emails and calls for random contract positions. I ended up finding a position on my own, but these small annoyances are a relatively small price to pay though if you get a paying position through one of these recruiters.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Great news for you.

I am currently searching for a helpdesk type job but have had no luck so far. I have A+ and Net+ and currently working on MCSA. Were you taken more seriously in regard to job offers after you got your MCSA? Or were your CompTIA certs enough to garner attention?
  • Options
    I put my MCSA/MCP down on my resume even though I don't have my background experience.. but I felt I knew enough that if given a responsibility/task.. or asked a question.. i could handle it. if not, I wouldn't have put it down.

theyre going to test you.. make sure you know it. at interviews with recruiters.. that thought it was impressive that i had these certs already.. but certs are just a piece of paper.. i have to be ready to prove myself.

so when asked a lil bit about me.. i straight up was honest, off the top of my head, what i learned, what i want to learn, what i want to do, and get more experience with. I was't nervous, just kept it honest. said I don't know everything but im an extremely fast learner, love a challenge, love to learn new stuff, and am definitely a good asset to have for any company's IT department.

its like with girls.. it you want the girl.. have confidence.. if you want the job.. have confidence. if youre nervous.. dont be afraid to say.. im sorry im a lil nervous, i just really want this job. thats the tips i picked up from others on here.. i started a thread a while back about interviews.. and also about resume tips. any more information i gain from experience.. i'll definitely help..

this site/forum has definitely helped me, and will give back as much as possible. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I do still get calls from recruiters and contractors about positions or projects coming up.

one company, which I would love to work for is about 45-60mins away (without traffic).. close to DC, in Bethesda MD.. I heard rumors that it can take up to 2hrs of driving to get there in the morning, and if you dont get out by 5.. youre stuck there..

the lady asked me how much was I willing to take.. right off the back I would LOVE to be like 50+ lol.. but thats unrealistic.. so I said.. hmm.. 35/year.. I'll make the trip every day. she said "are you sure.. youre from baltimore.. thats a good drive".. im thinkin in my head.. 35/year.. is over 18/hr.. full time vs parttime.. closer to DC.. more job potentials.. and this was a better job too.. not just helpdesk.. i believe it was more along the lines of JR Admin/Helpdesk/other types of work.. so yeah.. i'll start at 35/year no problem.

i told my teacher today.. he was like wow.. 35 is too low. but hey.. starting out, and atleast trying to get the job over someone who wants 45.. or more.. i think it was the right thing to say. but my teacher said.. would you pick up a piece of **** for penny per ****.. i said no... he said wud u do it if you were extremely poor and if u didnt.. u starved.. i said yeah.. he said what if someone offered you .05cent for each piece of **** u picked up..i was like i'll take that one. he was like whats the difference then? i was like i'll take what i can get until i have a better off that comes along.. because his point was that i should like hold out for something that pays more.. and does the same job.. but honestly.. we're in a recession.. theres not going to be other jobs.. so grab what i can get. thats just my .02 icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Good Attitude KoolTrix I am like you when Im starting with IT I even volunteer to work my experience dont count the money first count on your experience because once you get those nice experience the money will just come in and you will be surprised for different offer.
  • Options
    More Experience aka FUN:

Slow day, so I took all the bad harddrives.. swapped out logic boards.. see which one I could get fired up.. if not.. I took them apart, to see how they work/placement.. going to attempt to swap disks and see if I can't get some good experience doing that.

also.. couple computers were down in a room, not all the jack's worked.. only one, they were using a hub/switch connecting to a switch in the panel room. we used a toner, to try and find which port it was.. after checking 3 rooms.. we couldn't find it.. grabbed the mac-address.. and telnet'd into the switch to try and find the blade/port.. blade 5 port 44.. woohoo.. i didn't do the telnet part.. my co-worker did.. but it was fun watching/learning.

also learned a lil bit more on profiles.. someone's profile was set as backup.. so we had to pretty much copy and paste old files into the new one that was a local profile.. not a backup or temp.

tomorrow im hoping we create a new profile image for different set of computers.

okay that is all for now. lil boy blue is still learnin icon_cheers.gif