Options

Must Read Book

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been working on getting my CEH and I took a break from one of the guides to concentrate on some tool related books. So of course I picked up the Nm@p guide written by the creator of the program (filter won't let me type it out). First, he goes into crazy detail about Nm@p and all the different types of scans/uses for it. I'm on Chapter 5 and really wish I had picked up this book earlier (had it for about a month or two). Great book that I think everyone should read!

The reason I am posting this is because of something I did today. Reading through the book I decided to run some scans on my network. Everything looked good until I found a strange port open on my linux box. This port was 1337 and I got scared, especially since it was showing a program called waste running on this port. Googled the software and found out it is some form of private p2p. Then I got really worried because I assumed I got hacked, I have a decent pipe (20/20) and it might makes sense that someone might have gotten in and used it. So I run another scan with Nm@p, this time using the -A flag to get version information on the ports. Turns out it was software I installed (uShare) to view files on my xbox (dead icon_sad.gif. Disaster averted thanks to Nm@p!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What other tool books are you looking at?

I've only scratched the surface, but I agree, it's well done. However, I believe the later content is for very advanced users.

Have you setup a date for your exam yet? We're under two months icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm probably going to delve a little deeper into wireshark (got a practical guide for it) then it is back to the review guides. As for a date, looking at a hard two week deadline. Yeah, the end chapters are pretty advanced so I don't know if I will complete the entire book before the exam, but I might try!

This is the prep book that I am using:

The CEH Prep Guide by Krutz and Vines as it seems very comprehensive. In getting through the first 8 chapters, I can say that the law section is very extensive!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I've already gone through the Prep Guide. I'm on the Exam Prep now, and then I'll hit the smaller review book. The Exam Prep book comes with a practice exam, and I have the Prep Logic exam as well. Hopefully that'll all be sufficient to pull me through icon_eek.gif

I'll probably look at taking mine in 4-6 weeks. I'm interested to see how you fare. Good luck!