Options

Should I add an interviewer on facebook?

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had any interview on Friday and this morning I decided to google his name and came back with a myspace page, facebook page, and a linkedin page. My question is should I try to add him as a friend? Would it be any benefit to me on getting the job or annoy him?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only if you have a lot of party/shameful photos and content ;)

The only one I'd even consider is Linked In, but if I was in his position, any of those would annoy me.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    Depends on what you have on your facebook and how well you know the interviewer.

If you have a photo of yourself passed out drunk, I would not add the interviewer to your Facebook.

If the interviewer is your best friend, the you can add him/her.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm voting for no on all counts...the LinkedIn one would be the only one that I'd say maybe to (and even then that's a little bit stalky), but definitely NO on facebook & myspace - not exactly professional.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats what I figured but I wanted to ask to make sure.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd say no on all counts. What happens if you get the job? One day you have a falling out and now all of a sudden your facebook pictures are in the office. Could be a very bad thing....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I've had interviewer's/recruiters add me to Linkedin but I would let them make that step for sure or it might seem a little to overbearing.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    yep I've had recruiters add me on linkedin no problems with that as that is my professional networking site, I've gotten some good leads from there.

facebook and others I rarely use and its only for family and personal friends certainly wouldnt add recruiters on there.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why would you add dude on facebook??? you're definitely wildin!!! if you get the job, and thats your manager, then sure why not, but dont do it prior to. i know i have some reckless pics on fb, and i would never want any potential employer to see them, hell thats why i dont have my real last name on fb anyways...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    i say no. that just sounds weird/creepy.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to say NO
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty much no to all of the above, with the slight exception to LinkedIn under some cirumstances. The only time I have ever sent a request to link with somebody who interviewed me to LinkedIn was when their primary role in the organization was as a recruiter and after I had been informed that I did a great job during all of the interviews but I was not selected at this time for a position, but I was asked to keep in touch in case of future offerings.

That's the only time I have ever added an interviewer to my LinkedIn account. Otherwise, it's pretty much for professionals who have either worked together in some context (co-worker, was involved on a project from a 3rd party, you sold to and/or purchased from them, etc).

EDIT: On a side note, I did perform some research on my interviewers for the position I speak about that I ended up not getting. I found one of them had a public Facebook profile... and they had a picture of themselves dressed up exactly like the role Sean Connery played as "Zed" in the movie "Zardoz". That's also one time I wish I had NOT done prior research on my interviewers.
  • Options
    bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would have to agree with Dynamik and the rest. If you are considering adding the interviewer, that profile better look as professional as your email lol.
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a big no!

And if they attempt to add you before making a candidate selection then wait till they make a candidate selection before you accept or deny.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Of course... NO NO NO NO NO.......................
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    LOL NO WAY!

Might help you to get to know your interviewer though. But make sure he doesn't know you seen it.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    DIFFERENT SPIN:

I didn't want to create a NEW thread..

but say you got the job already?

Here is my situation.. I did the same thing he did..

I did a reverse name search sort of thing.. typed in my Recruiters name, since she's an extremely cute young asian..

sure enough there is only one in my state.. it's her!

I never added her, but I was thinkin later down the road.. should I?

she's extremely friendly.. very bubbly and excited about almost everything. She offered to go SUIT-SHOPPING with me for the interview for the job I have now.

She called me and asked me what size shirt I wear, because the company is getting polo shirts for everyone.. and I was like so when do I get my shirt, she said when she takes me out ot lunch (policy thing im assuming).. so I was like oh great.. i get a free shirt and a free lunch (in a sarcastic tone).. and she laughed..

She lives like 10mins from me too..Just thinking.. lol should I do it? HAHA..

maybe i'll add her on linkedin first.. and then when she brings it up at the lunch meet.. ask her if she has myspace.. or ask her on a date hahaha jk icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably not as big of a deal with a recruiter IMO. If you and her are friendly then I don't see a problem sending a friend request. I'd try to keep it professional though and not try to hit on her. Too much anyway icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I wouldn't add an employer (potential or current) to a social networking site like Facebook or Myspace. That being said, it's a different situation if you're close with the person, like if they're an exisiting friend or, like in Kooltrix's situation, someone you're very friendly with, then it's at your discretion to add them. (Dating a coworker or potential manager is asking for trouble until the day you quit or are fired, but that's a whole different conversation.)

As for coworkers and managers in general, I'd think about polishing up your LinkedIn profile if you're going to be adding professional contacts. That's what it's for. When I was job-hunting last, almost every hiring manager, recruiter, and professional contact I talked to had a LinkedIn account, it really gave me a chance to get noticed by the ones I gave a damn about without having to pump out my resume in email after email. Again, this is at your discretion, I wouldn't go handing out your LinkedIn profile to absolutely everyone you talk to; give it only to those you trust and/or those you want to be seen by.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I think the biggest mistake people make.. is when they setup their facebook/myspace.. they keep it public.. and have incriminating information exposed..

mine.. my myspace is plain and boring.. the ONLY thing it says.. its my certifications!! lol

I hidden everything else I dont use.. so there is no scrolling on my page.. its almost like a resume lol

Pictures are private unless my friend, even so.. theres nothing embarrassing.

---

my bestfriend applied for state troopers.. they seen his myspace, and commented on him about it. His "party" pictures. lol true story.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Facebook = No
    Myspace = No
    Bebo = No

LinkedIn = Depends how the interview went. I would not recommend adding them before you hear a decision about the job. If you think the guy is a genuine lead for the future and think they liked you, then I'd ask if he minded you adding him on LinkedIn before sending the invite.

Reason = FB, Bebo and MySpace are sites for keeping in touch with friends, if somebody tags you in a photo out drunk doing something stupid you can't hide this on your profile until you login and "untag" yourself. Even if you set "only me" to be visible of photos tagged of you, people always stumble across these things if they're in your network!

This applies to Facebook anyway, not sure about the others, but I'd be very warey of who you add to these. LinkedIn is slightly different as you will only find working professionals on here, not people boasting about how smashed they were on Saturday night.

I would however also recommend you set your LinkedIn account up so there is limited information available on your public profile, you only add people you know/trust and that your connections can not browse your other connections (depending on what your aim is i.e. searching for new role etc). The last thing you need is your boss asking who is this, who is that, why do you have 10 recruiters as connections? etc.....

Some bosses would take exception to this and assume you're leaving even if you're perfectly happy in your job and just building a network.

Hope this helps.